Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exo said:
that's why it is a celeron !
celeron's are meant to be cheap, and what takes op the most die space on a cpu ? exactly ! cache !

so, how do you make cheap cpu's ? you cut the cache and reduce transistor count from 150 million to 80 million in a flash.

if there's one make that uses large caches to overcome the flaws in its frontside bus architecture then its intel. Conroe will even have a massive 4MB of cache !

AMD, on the other hand uses relatively small caches because their IMC (integrated memory controller) offers low latency access directly to system memory.

You can also make cheap CPUs by making more of them. Look at AMD, The new chips have a pretty hefty cache, and the prices just droped.

Theres also News That AMD and ATI are joining forces.

You don't make cheap cpu's by making more of them, you can make them cheaper by getting good yields...
AMD dropped their prices to remain competitive with conroe, I'm betting those pricedrops are hurting AMD, but they have too.

In the celeron pricerange you got to compare it to AMD semprons...

All sempron models have 128 or 256Kb L2 cache
Just like the celerons.

Last edited:
Marks256 said:
The thing i hate most about intel processers, is they have so much speed, but such a small cache, that the speed isn't shown! I got a 2.6ghz Intel Celeron for free(from the trash, seriously), and it only had a 128l2 cache! I would expect something like; 256, or 512 would be nice. Or 1mb. But no; 128! That sucks! Amd is all speed and chache(along with alot of style!)
Problem = Celeron. I can find you lots of AMDs that have 128kb caches, so dont find the lowest end Intel you can and bash all Intels based on it. The new Core Duo 2 chips come with a whopping 4mb of cache (2x2mb) and wont exceed 45°C under FULL LOAD. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

ParkingLotLust said:
Problem = Celeron. I can find you lots of AMDs that have 128kb caches, so dont find the lowest end Intel you can and bash all Intels based on it. The new Core Duo 2 chips come with a whopping 4mb of cache (2x2mb) and wont exceed 45°C under FULL LOAD. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

ANY Cpu wont get ever Near that Temp is you have a good enough cooler. If thats with a stock Cooler, then thats pretty impressive. Although Ive seen one of AMD's stock coolers (it has heatpipes) and it compares pretty good with a Zalman.

And if you think thats impressive, the average idle temperature with SpeedStep enabled is 25°C. Im assuming this is with the stock cooler since WikiPedia doesnt specify.

No, intel is just too cheap. I am fairly sure that Intel will become obsolete in the near future, unless they shape up. Intel just can't seem to understand that there are ways to make CPUs cheaper, yet faster. Heck, just like IBM did with that other company; added germanium to the silicon! I would pay $500+ for a CPU that runs at 100ghz, let-alone 1thz!
I think the real problem lies with the motherboards. Screw old technology, bring on the faster mobos!

Yes, 4 cores will be nice, but AMD is gonna kick ass if they can pull of a 8 core processer! I have a bad fealing the cases will need really advanced cooling systems. What is a safe tempurature for operation on a CPU. I have my AMD Sempron 2800+(32bit :( ), it reaches temps of about 100-103. Is that safe? Or am i tempting fate? It isn't overclocked, but i did once, temps went really high. I am also using a stock heatsink and fan.

Intels arent supposed to go over 65 degrees celsuis, I dont know what that is in farenheit, but AMDs are supposed to run cooler than that.

ParkingLotLust said:
Intels arent supposed to go over 65 degrees celsuis, I dont know what that is in farenheit, but AMDs are supposed to run cooler than that.
My Pentium4 2.93GHz operates at 52 degrees C. It has an automatic variable speed fan that keeps that temp. I hear the fan speed up when the processor is thinking very hard.

Marks256 said:
Yes, 4 cores will be nice, but AMD is gonna kick ass if they can pull of a 8 core processer! I have a bad fealing the cases will need really advanced cooling systems. What is a safe tempurature for operation on a CPU. I have my AMD Sempron 2800+(32bit :( ), it reaches temps of about 100-103. Is that safe? Or am i tempting fate? It isn't overclocked, but i did once, temps went really high. I am also using a stock heatsink and fan.

Usually People use C for their temps. 100F to C=37, 103F = 39C. Yea, I say your temps are really good! There are new coolers out that are better than watercooling! Ie, Noctua NH-u12 and its brother, NH-U9 (which is smaller). Both are very quiet, and even beat a Zalman.

Sorry, i am still trying to grasp metric measurements. So my temps are very good? So it would safe to overclock it? Hmmm.....

amd is really good for gaming and 3d graphic designs,but the problem in it is there is no proper cooling system and thefan given may not be enough,if u r going for it,ill suggest u to buy an another fan and fit it

Marks256 said:

I dont know what happened to my last post, but Yes that is safe. Your CPU ranges from 37 to 39C. Thats normal for a Really good cooler. There are better heatsinks that get near and better than water cooling temps, such as the Noctua Nh-U12 and ThermalTake Big Typhoon.Those temps usualy range from the lower up 20's to the lower 30's

Marks256 said:
Sorry, i am still trying to grasp metric measurements. So my temps are very good? So it would safe to overclock it? Hmmm.....

Wow I must have not seen my reply...

Umm, Id say Yes. But Stop If you start getting Near 50C. They can withstand temps up to around 60C, But I wouldnt risk it. Once my proc gets to 66C, It freezes and I have to restart.

Yes, i will look at a non-stock cooler. Thanks!

Marks256 said:
Yes, i will look at a non-stock cooler. Thanks!

I suggest (1) Noctua NH-U12 or NH-U9 (if you can find it), Thermal Take Big Typhoon, Or Zalman (I forgot which one though..). They all go around 40 Bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back