Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Exploding processor- real or fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

**broken link removed**

:eek: Real or fake? Either way, that is genius... I would say fake... Wouldn't there have to be some sort of explosive to do that much damage? Also, how did the hole get in the table?

Either way, it is insane... hmm, i have an old duron laying around... :D

Well, i can still make it happen... I swear i had some South Dakotan fireworks around here somewhere...

I don't even think durons can get up to 4GHz!? I thought most durons ran around 900MHz...

Yep, definitely a fake... But it was still entertaining to watch...

Yeah, toward the end, what is that under the table? Looks fake to me. there is no way it would put a hole in the table. If it did the whole housing should have moved and there should be bits of wood on the ground.

total bs - there are so many problems with it. Just to state a few - if you've ever taken the heatsink off of a processor, you'll know that it's not as easy as just lifting it up. There are mechanical hold downs. Plus the thermal grease can act as a glue, making it hard to pull off when the mechanicals are removed.

I've seen a lot of exploding ICs - all of them blew in very high power supplies. They do nothing like was shown. If an IC is gonna blow, the package will blow out and expose the die, but not with enough force to blow everything apart.

Thermal grease? Pff, i don't use that crap... Well, except on machines that i really care about... (like my beautiful desktop...)

When he puts it back on the table and aligns the CPU pieces, the caps and silicon look fine. I would expect the silicon to have the hole in it. Fake for me.

The instantanious thermal ramp required to actually vaporize enough material to cause an explosion like that is not possible with a PC power supply. The chips only use in the neighboorhood of 20-50watts anyways.

The only real occurance of something like this that I can recall that's documented in a sane manner is a guy that decided it would be fun to hook up his 5kv surge generator to some eeproms and misc devices he had floating around, there's a link to the website bellow which shows a die sized window blown out of the top of a surface mount chip. Notice however that the actual die is still intact and there are obvious signs of a real explosion around it.

The crushed aluminum cans from magnetic eddy currents and pipeing gives you a healthy respect for what pulsed magnetic fields are capable of. When this thing goes off it probably causes a tick on every AM radio within 20 miles.

https://www.electricstuff.co.uk/surge.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back