Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with voltage follower in R2R D/A converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsaar

Hi,

I'm testing an 8-bit R2R ladder based D/A converter and I can't get it to work properly. This will be a general purpose converter to be used with an ATmega16 development board. The resistor ladder itself works OK; the output voltage goes in even steps from 0 to +5V, even the 01111111 - 10000000 step is not bad because I carefully measured and picked those resistors to minimize uneven steps.

However, the voltage follower opamp works only from 0 to about 3.7V, but any input voltage above that makes the output to be 5V. The opamp is LMC660 which is said to be rail-to-rail, but is it really so? I think the problem would be solved by having at least 6.5V supply for the opamp (and no need for rail-to-rail then), but there's no more than 5V available. Also, I don't want to reduce the output range to overcome that problem. Is there any other opamp which would really work up to +V, or some other ideas?

The LMC660 is doing what is should do.
The output is R-R but the input is not!
The input will work to "0 volts" BUT It will not work above VCC-2.5 volts. In your case of VCC=5V so it will stop working at about 2.5 volts. The fact that it works to 3.7V is nice.

Look at:"Input common mode range"

The LMC660 is doing what is should do.
The output is R-R but the input is not!
The input will work to "0 volts" BUT It will not work above VCC-2.5 volts. In your case of VCC=5V so it will stop working at about 2.5 volts. The fact that it works to 3.7V is nice.

Look at:"Input common mode range"

Oops! I just learned something new... :)

However, I also found a simple solution to increase the supply voltage for LMC660. I found a schematic for Dickson charge pump, and luckily I had components for testing it. I managed to get 7.3V from it, which was enough to have LMC660 output go all the way to 5V. I think this works good enough for me, and I still can fit this to the perfboard I planned to use.

This is the schematic I found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dickson_doubler.svg
For the "clock" I made a 555 based oscillator running about 700Hz, and those caps are 220uF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back