Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with Mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

I seem to be having a problem… I have always had this problem. Plastic molding. Saaaay… I’m building a robot, with all of those gears, pulleys, you know, mechanical stuff. How do I mount them? Mounting, and plastic molding I have always feared. You know, like, when you take apart really anything with wheels that runs on a motor, you see TONS of little tiny raised holes, and… just a bunch of little plastic “holders” that gears are sitting in. (Then, when your done fixing/looking at your little box of gears, you can’t put it back together because one little gear is slightly off, or upside-down or SOMEthing.) So, if I need to make something like that, how can I do it? Please help! Thank you.

Electric Rain

I second this question except i want to know how to make any type of plastic mold. Like if i wanted to design a remote control. How would i make the mold and then what materials would i pour into the mold to make the plastic. I remember back in middle school we molded screwdrivers from plastic pebbles that we melted in a machine. Im sure that is old technology now.

Why re-invent the wheel..err...gear ? Why not just buy some ready-made gears ? better yet if your into robotics, just buy some gearhead motors or servos. Would save you hordes of time and frustration.

Squintz,

I was told that they use plastic pebbles for plastic molding. I don't know how they melt them, but my thing is, like you I'm not really getting how to make the mold. :?

Nettron,

I was talking about making the "stand-offs" I guess you can call them, FOR the gears. Not MAKING the gears.

Try here for molding:
https://www.smooth-on.com/

For us one-off project makers, using an existing case is probably much simpler. Molding compounds are expensiveand it's a complicated process to design and make a good-looking case.

For standoffs, try brass tubing cut to length.

-Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back