Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem in IC Prog - PIC12C509A

Status
Not open for further replies.

franco

I'm trying to program a pic12c509 with a JDM, but get the following message when I try to program all.

"No oscilator calibration value found do you want to use the value from file OFFFH instead?"

Whether I click yes or no it goes through the motions of programming, but gives me a message at the end " verify failed @address ooohi"

What can be wrong here. Is the chip not inserted properly or what is it?? I used the recommended setting for the programmer from the IC Prog site..

Just bumping this thread. Can anyone give me tips on where I can post this to get some advice or a link to somewhere for this kind of info?? I don't seem to be having much luck here :lol:

The fact that ic-prog doesn't find a calibration value suggests it has problems reading from the pic. This also causes verify to fail. The writing may also fail, but there is no way to test it because you can't read.

Have you programmed other pics before with your programmer hardware/ic-prog? (16f84, 16f628,.... ?). If not, then the 12c509 may not be a good chip to start with. It is a OTP chip, wich means it can be only programmed once. Afther each (failed) attempt the chip could become unusable. It would be better to get a flash chip (16f628 or so) to test your programmer with as it can be rerwritten over and over again.

If you HAVE already successfully programmed pics then some more information would be welcome. Like what kind of programmer hardware you are using?

Hi Exo, it's the JDM baby programmer and I have about 4 PIC12C509A chips in case there is a problem. I have never programmed chips before.

Is there any way to find out why it is not reading the chip?? What are the possible problems??

One common problem, especially with JDM, is a too low VPP voltage.
To program a pic you need about 13V on the pic's MCLR pin. Since JDM takes its power from the computers com port the voltage might not be high enough.

Test between the pic's GND and MCLR pins to see if you're getting the required 13V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back