Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

raphaelriv

I have this power supply that went bad,

DZ100M Series 100Watts (tri-Mag)

it goes into a PC computer. Every time you turn the switch on the back to power up the system the switch turns right back off, it won't stay on. I tried unhooking everything to the point where there's no load and just the power supply sitting there on its mounted bracket and i again turn the switch on and the switch goes back off it won't stay on. I replaced the power supply with another one and it worked, but can anyone lead me in a direction of how to trouble shoot this?

The vast majority of PC power supply failures result from capacitors going bad. if you open it up and see ruptured or bulging capacitors, i would suggest starting from there and replacing them. The power supply suddenly going off is usually because of overvoltage or undervoltage protection being tripped. This is to protect your motherboard from being fried if something bad should happen in the power supply.

If the capacitors are all good and it still doesn't work then i say don't bother with it and just buy a new power supply. PC Power supplies are mass produced and economies of scale have made them disposable devices.

Unless ofcourse you're primary intention is to learn rather than just to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back