Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

packet_loss

Hi guys, I just got got one of these babies at the goodwill computer store! I love this kind of stuff. Anyway, it didn't have a power supply. Looking online I see that it needs 8 volts @ 1.5 amps. I have an old laptop power supply that is 19.5Vx3.34A, an NTE956 (same thing as LM317) Voltage regulator, a small selection of capacitors and a pile of resistors. Can I get my 8Vx1.5A from these things? I found a schematic online that uses the NTE956 in a home made power supply. I bought the 5k pot but broke it trying to get it to fit in an already tight enclosure and the only other pot I have on hand is a 2 Meg one, can I use it for this?

Any help would be appreciated. This is basic stuff but it's why I never get very far with electronics, no matter what I read I just dont understand what I'm supposed to do in a situation like this. Are the resistors changing voltage too? Hopefully one of you guys can help me and I'll have an aha moment and finally understand how to properly use resistors and such when I need a specific voltage and current. I also have the atx power supply from previous threads if that would be easier for me to work with. Thanks in advance guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back