Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply blinking... caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on checking the circuit again, I think it's the thermal protection kicking it off. The thermistor is right next to a 36K 5 watt resistor, that is getting pretty hot (my cheap ir thermometer was saying 200 degrees F. ) can a guy just bend the thermistor away from the resistor, or is this standard procedure to put a resistor next to it, to represent the power running through the circuit? lastly, might it just be that the resistor is bad? it's a 5% ceramic resistor, I thought ceramic resistors almost never quit...

anyway, just some ideas.

Anyone have a clue what might be up?

Thanks again!!!
-Parker

Dude, you solved your own question:
what's the best way to test a cap, if you don't have a 'capmeter'? I always used to think you could just test for continuity, if there is any, it' stoast. is that a fair assumption? There were two caps that were bulged in the supply, out of 15-20
between one of the ~ leads and the + or - lead, it will read a number for a breif instant, then go to 1 (no continuity) no matter which direction i'm going (positive or negative lead from the meter to either ~ or +/- lead.

Also,
on checking the circuit again, I think it's the thermal protection kicking it off. The thermistor is right next to a 36K 5 watt resistor, that is getting pretty hot (my cheap ir thermometer was saying 200 degrees F. ) can a guy just bend the thermistor away from the resistor, or is this standard procedure to put a resistor next to it, to represent the power running through the circuit? lastly, might it just be that the resistor is bad? it's a 5% ceramic resistor, I thought ceramic resistors almost never quit...

anyway, just some ideas.

Anyone have a clue what might be up?

Thanks again!!!
-Parker
Maybe you want to put a fan on it and see if that makes a difference, I would move the "therm" from the ceramic, and they do go bad (O.C.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back