Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohanevindra

I want to make a power regulator for all my microcontroller projects, so i can program and run them off the breadboard initially. I know that it needs to be 5V.

The power adapters that I can buy at my local electronic hobby store, are they regulated or not?I'm guessing they just have a step down transformer right? So do I need a power reguulator IC (like a LM series) and then use resistors to get the voltage I need?

I want to make a power regulator for all my microcontroller projects, so i can program and run them off the breadboard initially. I know that it needs to be 5V.

The power adapters that I can buy at my local electronic hobby store, are they regulated or not?I'm guessing they just have a step down transformer right? So do I need a power reguulator IC (like a LM series) and then use resistors to get the voltage I need?

hi,
Many supposed DC regulated hobby type regulators are not very accurate.
I would buy a 500mA 12Vdc hobby Power supply and use it to drive a 7805 Voltage regulator IC, add decoupling capacitors on the input and output of the 7805.

As shown in the diagram, is that a suitable circuit for the power regulator?And im guessing that it can take an input of about 9V. and this would be suitable to drive a PIC, and other associated devices?

is there a site which will help me with power regulator design?

As my projects increase and demand for current increases, i jus hav to change the regulator right?

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
A 78L05 voltage regulator is in a small case and can power small circuits with up to 100mA.
The much larger 7805 has a heat sink metal tab that can be connected to a heatsink for cooling. It can supply up to 1A.

yeah..i plan on using the 7805...still that should be enough right?for larger currents, i jus need to change the IC?
1A is a lot of current. If you need more current then you could add booster transistors as shown on the datasheet or use an LM350 adjustable regulator for up to 3A or use an LM338 adjustable regulator for up to 5A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back