Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Line Communication, Coupling, Isolation , Help !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebeng

Hi everybody

I wonder if any body can help me in the idea of coupling and isolation in the power line communication concept.

I have built the modulator, i still have to inject the communication signal into the power line, while blocking the power signal toward my circuit.

Any body can help ?

This is not new. There are many papers on how X-10 works. There is also a format for sending serial data over power lines using 200khz carrier. National has a very old application on sending audio over power line. (using a modulator)

Thnaks for the reply, but as i meantioned earlier, the problem is not with the data to be sent or the format how to send it, in fact the problem is in electronic design and concepts that i lack which is how to block the power signal from my circuit, while allowing the communication signal toward the power line.

I've read about this and this requires a transformer (for isolation) and capacitors for coupling. I dont know how to design the transformer and what parameters required for the design procedure. a ready project has beeen read and found that the transofrmer used was simply a coil and a hand wound wire above it, but not mentioning the procedure. I appreciate any help in this domain

Thanks in advance

Years ago, when I was toying with power line comms, I would use a
6-12v to 120v transformer with a 0.1 uf in series with the high side.
Quick and dirty, but it worked. Commercial products usually use a
specialty coupling transformer, or none at all - just a cap for isolation.
A lot depends on whether the device is bi-directional.
<als>

Thanks for your information fsmyth, must the voltage at the low side be a specific one? means does it need to be 6 or 12? another question, supposing that i want to implement a transformer for a transmitter and another one for a reciever can you please provide me with information as much as you can please ?

I was trying to send you to this application note.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/03/AN-146.pdf

I used a 'pulse' transformer with 1000 volts of isolation. You can use a IF transformer but the isolation is not good. In the application note thay connect the transformer across the power line with a 0.1uf 200 volt capacitor. If you use 2 capacitors, one on each leg of the transformer then I think you can use a low voltage transformer.

Dear ronsimpson
Thanks for the helpful document u provided, but i still have a problem, the components RAN-10A6729EK and RAN-10A6845EK used in this article are not found ! do u know other alternative, if not please provide me with a clear idea about the transformer have you wound it your self or just used a ready one ? I'm too much confused about this subject

At digikey.com I typed in 10A6729EK and found the data sheet from Toko. Digikey did not have any parts but now you know the inductance and turn ratio. You are looking for a IF transformer that will resonate at you frequency.

Dear ronsimpson,
The project you posted is too much important, I dont not if I'm asking too much, but plz i need help!
Did you meant in your last reply that I can do a similar coil to those I requested? please provide me with clear response ! too urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back