Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglegp

Hi,

I have replaced a 5k potentiometer on a 24v battery charger, I dont have a clue how to set it via the multimeter, the potentiometer is positioned close to the DC output, please help

Attachments

• Optimized-20200221_205944.jpg
    Optimized-20200221_205944.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 20200221_205748.jpg
    20200221_205748.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 149
Welcome to ETO!
Can you post a link to the charger?
What type (lead acid, lithium, etc) of battery is the charger for?

Hi, hope you are well, unfortunately, I could not find any info on it, it is a built in charger from an inverter, to charge 2 x 12v batteries

The pot may be for setting an output voltage. Equally, it could set a current limit. Without further info it's hard to advise on the required setting.

What's actually happening is I dont know the value to set the potentiometer to and everytime I switch the charger on the ac fuse and mosfets blow, if you can let me know what info you need, I can try and get that info for you

A schematic of the inverter would provide the info, but may be unobtainable.
everytime I switch the charger on the ac fuse and mosfets blow
That suggests there's a problem that's nothing to do with the potentiometer :(.

What was the original reason for replacing the potentiometer?

Was the charger working properly before that?

The charger was working, our power cuts stopped, so i packed the inverter away, after a couple of years I pulled it out as we need to use it, the fuse popped along with 2 mosfets IRF740B, so I just changed all the caps, diodes, potentiometer...etc but little did I realize the potentiometer needs to be fine tuned to my circuit

The charger was working, our power cuts stopped, so i packed the inverter away, after a couple of years I pulled it out as we need to use it, the fuse popped along with 2 mosfets IRF740B, so I just changed all the caps, diodes, potentiometer...etc but little did I realize the potentiometer needs to be fine tuned to my circuit

It was pretty silly randomly changing components, particularly the potentiometer which needs setting - do you still have the old one?, if so put it back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back