Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Positive Ion Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicVec

Hi, I need to build a positive ion generator, input voltage would be DC, 18V to 56V. I can find many examples of negative ion generators with circuit diagrams but non so far on positive only ions. Has anyone ever build one? I would appreciate the feedback (pun intended)
Cheers Vic

On the other website, in Google I found an ad for a negative ion generator that "claimed" that a lack of negative ions causes a surplus of positive ions that makes humans feel sick.
Then if you want to make people feel sick you make a high DC voltage supply and connect its negative high voltage output to ground and connect its positive high voltage output to an antenna.

Hi, I need to build a positive ion generator, input voltage would be DC, 18V to 56V. I can find many examples of negative ion generators with circuit diagrams but non so far on positive only ions. Has anyone ever build one? I would appreciate the feedback (pun intended)
Cheers Vic

What kind of atmosphere (gas) do you plan to use for the positive ion generator?

They use such things where I work, to remove static from paper as its being procesed.
Negative and positive ions are sprayed over paper using a linear array of needles.

The usual way to make ions from dc is to use a step up switching supply followed by a cockroft walton multiplier, if I got it right its a case of reversing the phase of the trandformer secondary, reversing the rectifier or catch diode and then reversing all the diodes in the cockroft walton to get positive rather than negative ions.

They use such things where I work, to remove static from paper as its being procesed.
Negative and positive ions are sprayed over paper using a linear array of needles.

The usual way to make ions from dc is to use a step up switching supply followed by a cockroft walton multiplier, if I got it right its a case of reversing the phase of the trandformer secondary, reversing the rectifier or catch diode and then reversing all the diodes in the cockroft walton to get positive rather than negative ions.

Or just switch the two output wires?.

Or just switch the two output wires?.
You could do that, but...

That would put the secondary of the output transformer at the EHT voltage.
The inter-winding insulation may not be designed to handle such a high voltage, resulting in an insulation breakdown between secondary and primary.

JimB

Not trying to hurt anyone just trying to turn a battery powered ULV misting machine into an electrostatic misting machine for disinfecting purposes ( world wide shortage of these machines and being in Barbados it will be a very long time until they reach down here) ...... so any help would be appreciated . I was thinking about putting the +ve and -ve electrodes into the blower air chamber creating a HV spark then the water based disinfectant would pick up the static electrified air as it passes the l;iquid nozzle. yes i know, trial and error ( i have a positive and negative ion meter on order) ............... am i on the right tracK ?

How do you plan to test the effectiveness of the sterilization process?

Will the device be stationary or portable? Automatically timed or human operated?

Use a special sterilization water soluble tablet, CoVid use approved. Hand held, portable machine ( we use this for mosquito control, ULV atomising mister (cold fogging) Human operated with full PPE kit

If your making a one off or a small qty you might be able to use a TV line output transformer, otherwise known as a flyback or lopty, they are still around on ebay.
They produce a + voltage in the order of 25kv, depending on the model, there are lots of examples on the web of how to make a high voltage generator with them, might be ok for building a prototype.

I can't remember. Did an old TV CRT high voltage produce positive or negative ions? I think the high voltage was positive like an ordinary vacuum tube.
It did not make me feel sick and had no effect on germs.

I can't remember. Did an old TV CRT high voltage produce positive or negative ions? I think the high voltage was positive like an ordinary vacuum tube.
It did not make me feel sick and had no effect on germs.

It was positive, for the final anode of the CRT - but it didn't produce ions, you need sharp points to do that, and sharp points were specifically mentioned as not to be formed during soldering for that reason (well at least to prevent corona discharge).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back