Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Portable Nintendo 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpmeplz

I have made a headphone amp during the summer and before my winter break I would like to make a portable n64. I have an idea, from a classic gamming website. A guy there has made one work off of 8 AA batteries. He just has to put it in a case. The nintendo 64 takes in 120V at (i forgot the mA) and out puts 12V at 500mA and 3.3V at (i forgot). Any way I want to have it run off a rachargable Lithium batt. and have inputs for a DC car adapter. But I'm still just learning the art of electronics and hope to be an E. engineer. If someone could help me that would be great thanks.

Questions:
1.Do I need a steady flow of 16V??? (12V+3.3V=15.3V)
2.How do I split the two?
3.How do I make a DC input and still make the system compact??
4.(More to come....)

P.S. I plan on having the controllers seperate so I can play my friends in class(and save space)

Thanks again!! please reply ASAP.

Take a look inside your N64. Were the AC comes in, there should be a AC/DC convertor, or a transformer to diodes to convert it to DC. All electronic (besides the power supply) works off DC. The guy who used 8 AA's, worked because he had 12 V going to the circuit. If you want 16 V, you would have to use 10 AA's in series. Plus, you would need to know the Amps of the output DC. And to do that, you would have to connect the batteries in parallel to add the currents.
To better explain, look inside. Find where the AC turns to DC, and bypass that with your battery pack.
Another place you can look would be **broken link removed**. Good luck.

Thanks!

You are the coolest person in the world. After about 9 days I finally get a response. May your children be fruitful. Thank you again!

helpmeplz said:
I have made a headphone amp during the summer and before my winter break I would like to make a portable n64. I have an idea, from a classic gamming website. A guy there has made one work off of 8 AA batteries. He just has to put it in a case. The nintendo 64 takes in 120V at (i forgot the mA) and out puts 12V at 500mA and 3.3V at (i forgot). Any way I want to have it run off a rachargable Lithium batt. and have inputs for a DC car adapter. But I'm still just learning the art of electronics and hope to be an E. engineer. If someone could help me that would be great thanks.

The N64 only needs 18v. If you look on the block that plugs into the back of the N64 you should see a little diagram of the connection and it shows the layout of the pins and tells you what they are. 3 of them are -, 2 of them are 3.3v and the other is 12v. The Block contains a transformer that weakens the power input and we got the led bit to light with a 9v battery.

Just thought I'd tell you incase your N64 went bang or something!

helpmeplz said:

Questions:
4.(More to come....)

P.S. I plan on having the controllers seperate so I can play my friends in class(and save space)

Just one piece of advice, If you want to be an E. engineer, I would pay attention in class and beat up on your friends after you've done your math homework. They still teach that right?? 8)
:lol: :lol:

Optikon said:
helpmeplz said:

Questions:
4.(More to come....)

Just one piece of advice, If you want to be an E. engineer, I would pay attention in class and beat up on your friends after you've done your math homework. They still teach that right?? 8)
:lol: :lol:

:lol: That's funny. :lol: But true at the same time too. We're not picking on you though, "helpmeplz", well, I'm not, I can't speak for Optikon, *Glares at Optikon :lol: :p j/k*

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong someone, but, can't he just take a 12VDC power supply, use that for the 12V needs of the N64, then split that into 3.3V using a LM317 voltage regulator? :?:

Hey, how are thing's working out so far? I want to do this myself as well. I've had an N64 with missing controller ports (used for something else) sitting around for the longest time. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back