Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Polarize and unpolarize capacitor in parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

StupidDum

A polarized and unpolarize capacitor are conencted in series at the input and output of the voltage regulator. What is the reason for this? To increase ESR?

Attachments

• regulator.gif
    regulator.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 388
StupidDum said:
A polarized and unpolarize capacitor are conencted in series at the input and output of the voltage regulator. What is the reason for this? To increase ESR?

You wouldn't want to INCREASE ESR, if anything you would want to DECREASE it.

The reason for doing it is that electrolytics don't work well at high frequencies, so the non-polarised capacitor gives high frequency decoupling, and the electrolytic gives low frequency decoupling.

audioguru said:
BTW, they are in parallel, not in series.

ha! i got no idea why my fingers didnt type according to my brain. parallel became series, decrease ESR became increase ESR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back