Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please ,what does this symbol mean ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra148

Hi,
Please could some one look at the attached schematic, and tell me what
the symbol in yellow means ?.

Thank you.

Attachments

• SYMBOL.jpg
    SYMBOL.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 4,199
That means an output socket, with the sheild connected to ground. Something like a phono socket or similar.

Oh, Nigel got there first.

Last edited:
Wow !!!
Posted,and replied in minutes. I have loads of downloaded symbols pages from the
web,and the symbol wasn't on any of them.

I come across this symbol problem from time to time, (I am electronics beginner).
Thank you so much.

It is only screened if it is connected to a screened cable

The metal case of the BNC is screening the mating connection, if the pcb mounted female part is grounded, which it should be.

So its a 50Ω or 75Ω screened connector when in use, screened cable or not.:)

Last edited:
It is only screened if it is connected to a screened cable

As with every single screened connector that's made - if you fit non-screened cable then it's obviously pretty pointless having a screened connector in the first place.

But as far as BNC goes, unless you use exactly the correct screened cable, it's EXTREMELY difficult to fit a BNC connector.

Can I add one more description to this pi**ing contest?

It could represent a co-axial connector.

I use the word co-axial to represent an RF type cable rather than just a screened cable, which may be fine at audio frequencies but have excessive loss at RF.

As the circuit shown by the OP appears to be an amplifier for a low (RF) frequency loop antenna, I will stick with my description of co-ax connector as the output is intended to go to the input of a receiver which I guess will have a co-ax socket.

JimB

Wow, I've seen some interesting arguments here (I know I've started some of em:rolleyes:) but this one takes the cake.

Can I add one more description to this pi**ing contest?

It could represent a co-axial connector.

I use the word co-axial to represent an RF type cable rather than just a screened cable, which may be fine at audio frequencies but have excessive loss at RF.

As the circuit shown by the OP appears to be an amplifier for a low (RF) frequency loop antenna, I will stick with my description of co-ax connector as the output is intended to go to the input of a receiver which I guess will have a co-ax socket.

Both BNC and Phono sockets are coaxial as well, presumably you're referring to a Belling-Lee connector?. Certainly the fact it hints at been a coaxial connector is why I mentioned it might be a screened socket.

Both BNC and Phono sockets are coaxial as well, presumably you're referring to a Belling-Lee connector?. Certainly the fact it hints at been a coaxial connector is why I mentioned it might be a screened socket.

Exactly.

As the pack had suggested a variety of specific socket types, just for the fun of it I thought I would try and drag it back into a more generic area.

Incidentally, he phono plug/socket is considered to be quite a good socket for RF use, I have seen it used for making connections between modules at 160Mhz (ish) inside commercial radio equipment.

JimB

Incidentally, he phono plug/socket is considered to be quite a good socket for RF use, I have seen it used for making connections between modules at 160Mhz (ish) inside commercial radio equipment.

It's often used inside TV's for the UHF tuner aerial input, up to 850MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back