Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please Help - IEC C14 power connector port & power cable head protrude out too much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Openupshop

Hello,

I would truly appreciate your help/thoughts... I am converting a pc monitor to a digital frame and got everything setup except I was hoping to have the frame flush to the wall (or as close to flush as possible), however I have an issue with the C14 power connector port (image below) sticking out the back of the frame too much.

In the image below the board is facing up, but on the completed digital picture frame, the board below would be flipped, positioned in the back of the frame and facing the wall (where currently, the power port and plug protrude out too much)
As you can see I have filed down the board's male power connector, which helped a little. However once I connect the power cord that I'm holding in the picture, the height of both combined makes it protrude way too much out the back of the frame.

I've even tried the 90° connectors, but still not short/flat enough. So I was wondering if it's ok to desoldering the male power connector port from the board and soldering power cord wires directly to it??
Or perhaps can I desolder the male port from the board, then mount it a few inches away and on it's side and soldering some wires from it back to the board?? I would then just connect the power cord to it side ways, and they would no longer protrude out of the frame.
Any other possible solutions??

Thank you, truly appreciate any help.
View attachment 20210802_000038.jpg

Unable to see image.
Yes that is a solution... Removing completely the power cord that has a connector end and passing a new power cord without connector trough a proper location on back cover made hole and soldering the cable directly to the circuitry.

Unable to see image.
Yes that is a solution... Removing completely the power cord that has a connector end and passing a new power cord without connector trough a proper location on back cover made hole and soldering the cable directly to the circuitry.

Thank you, appreciate the help. Sorry you couldn't see the image, I think file size was too large, reattaching to this post.

Anyhow, sorry I was a bit unclear/incomplete in my initial post. So I knew it would work, but my worry is that it is a regular ac cord and thus the higher voltage compared to a smaller dc powered diy projects.

That's why I listed a possible 2nd approach of moving the circuits power connector port a few inches away, wiring it back to the circuit and then plugging the cord in normal fashion...if that would provide some strain relief for the wire.
Thank you, appreciate it...
Screenshot_20210802-131421_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210802-131421_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210802-131421_Gallery.jpg
    744.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
The male jack soldered to the board shows mount holes that after desoldered and removed, would allow to attach it with screws to a roomy location on the rear plastic panel; rewiring it to the board.

The male jack soldered to the board shows mount holes that after desoldered and removed, would allow to attach it with screws to a roomy location on the rear plastic panel; rewiring it to the board.
Thank you Externet, I soldered to the back of the male jack, to the actual solder joints as the connector really did not want to come off even after desoldering it and undoing it's tiny plastic clips.

Then realized the typical hdmi heads don't fit. Luckily (and in case anyone else ever referenced this thread) I found these hdmi cables on amazon:
)
Incredibly small footprint, takes about the least amount of space as possible.

Thanks again

Then realized the typical hdmi heads don't fit. Luckily (and in case anyone else ever referenced this thread) I found these hdmi cables on amazon:
)
Incredibly small footprint, takes about the least amount of space as possible.

I've fitted hundreds of TV's on walls, and space is always a problem - however, you can get right angle HDMI adaptors which allow you to use normal HDMI leads with them. You can get them right or left handed, and in various amounts of offset - we used to keep about four different types when we were fitting TV's. Same for aerial plugs as well - you can get right angle plugs, or (much harder to find) adaptors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back