Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PlayStation Battery Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Bartlett

I was wondering whether someone could help!

Basically, I'm working on a show called Tech Hunters - where we modify old tech like Gameboys, Playstations and all that - and make them useful in a different way - for instance we're putting an oyster card chip in a casio watch so that you can tap in on the tube with your watch, that sorta thing.

With our Playstation, we want to make it portable - and therefore need to create a battery circuit. It plugs in to a monitor which has a power supply of 12V 7 W and the Playstation's power is 50Hz 10W. Do you know what parts we need etc to be able to make this work??

Thanks so much!
Glen

IMG_2327.JPG
IMG_2343.JPG

Hi! That sounds like fun! Do you need employees!!?
I had a buddy that once bought a mod kit that turned his NES to a PC !

"power inverter" is what you are looking for and appropriate battery

Not sure what you are asking. Do you need to supply 12V @ 7W (that is 0.6A) to your device? A small, **broken link removed** would be the easiest to do that. AC-powered SLA chargers are readily available. You can buy a charger such that it can recharge the SLA and run the device at the same time.

How long do you want it to run before needing to be plugged in? How rapidly do you need to recharge?

Last edited:
POST ISSUE 4 of 2016_11_18

Hi Glen,

As the other members say, you need a battery and and inverter to convert the battery direct voltage to an alternating voltage of 220V to 240V alternating.

One question that needs to be resolved is the wave shape required for the alternating voltage.
(1) Square wave
(2) Pseudo sine wave
(3) Sine wave

My feeling is that the Sony PlayStation is liable to have the type of power supply that will tolerate a square wave (off line switch mode power supply [SMPS]. This would be good because a square wave inverter is the most efficient and would thus give you the longest duration for a particular battery.

According to the label in the image that you posted the Sony PlayStation takes 10W but that wattage is according to the international standard and may not mean that the PlayStation actually takes 10W continuously, 10W is liable to be the maximum wattage that the PlayStation will ever take under all circumstances. My feeling is that the PlayStation will probably consume about 7.5W average.

About the battery. There are two main options I would suggest:
(1) Lead/acid as Mike says.
(2) Lithium/Ion (LiIon).

Lead/acid batteries have many advantages, but I will leave Mike to cover that approach, while I will cover the LiIon approach.

A reasonably priced 18650 LiIon rechargeable battery would have a capacity of 3AH (3,000 mAH), Which means a single LiIon battery would power the PlayStation for one hour. But a single LiIon battery would only have a terminal voltage of 3.6V which is not very convenient for an off-the-shelf inverter. So I would suggest four LiIon batteries in series.

A four way battery protection board would also be required, unless you bought protected batteries, that is. A suitable protection board is available off-the-shelf.

Four LiIon batteries would give a duration of (4 * 3.6V *3A)/ 7.5W= 5.76 Hours. But if you assume an overall efficiency of 70%, the achieved duration would be 5.76 * 0.7 = 4Hrs.

A four-bay LiIon battery charger is available off-the-shelf. Just unclip the the individula batteries and place them in the charger.

A suitable inverter is also available off-the shelf.

spec

PS: which county are you at? If you put it next to 'Location' on your user page it will show in the box at the left of your posts. Knowing where you are helps us answer your questions. In this case which component distributors you can easily buy from.

LINKS
(1) 18650 LiIon battery (4 of) (only buy top line manufacturer's batteries from a reliable source, or you will be ripped off: Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung, LG, Sony): https://batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Lithium_Ion__Li-Ion___3.7V_Batteries-1.html
The following items are just to give an indication of typical products at this stage:
(2) 18650 battery holder (4 of): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Batterie...721376?hash=item1a1c3a2160:g:c5kAAOSw8w1X4NGD
(3) Battery protector: **broken link removed**
(4) Battery charger (4 of): **broken link removed**
(5) Inverter: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Before we all get excited trying to design AC inverters, I wonder if it might be easier to try outright replacing the PS's power supply? It is a separate board inside the case that could be taken out easily, so that would give you a good place to pack lots of lithium cells. 18650 laptop-type cells would probably be the most economical option, but flat lithium polymer batteries are probably a good option if vertical height inside the case is limited. From there, cheap DC-DC switching converters, or even linear voltage regulators would allow you to get the different voltages for powering the unit and display.

You will need to open up the PS and measure what different voltages it outputs. From there, you will need to design a battery pack and converter circuitry to give you the different voltages you need.

1.jpg

Before we all get excited trying to design AC inverters,
Nobody is getting excited, nether is anybody planning on designing inverters.:wideyed:

The approach you are suggesting is technically neat, and may be a good approach for an engineering type person. But it is fought with problems, It represents a high risk and would require quite a bit of technical knowledge and effort from the OP, not to mention that the PlayStation would not be standard.

In view of the low power of the PlayStation, efficiency isn't even a huge issue either.

On the other hand, the approach of using an inverter just involves buying a low cost and widely available module and plugging in.:)

spec

I guess I was more referring to designing the full inverter-based system rather than deisgning an inverter at the component level, but that could be fun, too ;). Seeing as the OP stated that the premise of the show is to "modify" older tech, I would hope there would be at least some design work inside the case rather than grabbing an off the shelf inverter and plugging it into the back without any modification at all. The OP can decide how complex they want to go with this.

Further cursory research into the power supply of the PS indicates that it has two main rails: a +3.5V rail and a +8V rail. The 3.5V rail will presumably be for the digital circuitry, and the 8V rail may be for powering things like the motors in the disc read assembly. I imagine that a battery protection circuit and a few pre-built boost or buck converters off sparkfun or ebay or whatever would do just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back