Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

piezoelectric Crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamN

Does anyone know where I can buy piezoelectric crystals online. I need large sizes. i.e. 12"x12" sheet. I am building a piezoelectric demonstrator for my son. :lol:

12"x12" ???
That is enough make an earthquake and it is probably\
clasified as weapon. :shock:

WilliamN said:
Does anyone know where I can buy piezoelectric crystals online. I need large sizes. i.e. 12"x12" sheet. I am building a piezoelectric demonstrator for my son. :lol:

Surely there is a more practical way to design a demonstration project that illustrates just as well.

If you aren't able to purchase larger amounts of material you might remove some "crystals" from holders. Let me explain a little more. It seems that newer crystals come sealed in a "can" with pins or leads for the electrical connection. In older equipment the crystal (piezo material) was mounted in a holder and you could actually remove the crystal itself - so that you could lap it or otherwise modify it to adjust frequency. You might obtain some of these older crystals for the material. I've purchased them at ham radio flea markets. FYI - I purchased many of the crystals I have (that are removable) new in the late 70's and you may still be able to purchase this type new.

I to dont know what dose this "piezoelectric crystal".They are litle 4,5 V batery shaped silver things right?

Can any one explan what do they do?Plese.

Someone Electro said:
I to dont know what dose this "piezoelectric crystal".They are litle 4,5 V batery shaped silver things right?

Can any one explan what do they do?Plese.
Do a Google search for "piezoelectric effect".

I have seen (many years ago) a rochelle salt crystal about 6" X 6". It was used in a recorder, to move the stylus. For those who want to know: a piezo electric crystal is a material that is physically deformed when subjected to a voltage, and conversly will generate a voltage when deformed. Cheap phono cartridges and microphones use crystals. Radio frequency crystals are usually made of quartz, a glass-like material.

you can get them made to order.
Purchased some costom units 10mm dia pieze stuck to a 45mm long sheet of metal. think it was around 10,000 units at 20 cent each so I would hate to think what a one off 12"x12" would cost.

https://piezotechnologies.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back