Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shortening piezoelectric decay itme

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrongbat

Hey there!

I'm using a square wave signal to drive a piezoelectric transducer. The transducer I'm using has a decay time of around 1.3ms. Is it possible to shorten the decay time by reversing the square wave signal (that is phase shifting it by 180˚) for a short period?

Thank you!

You probably will not drive it with the correct phase to stop its resonance. How about shorting it?

Not enough detail to hazard a guess. Are you saying you are driving it with an ultrasonic high frequency square wave, and it is ringing after the waveform ends, or it is a self-oscillating beeper and you are driving it with a DC level, and the audio has a tail on it, or what?

ak

I'm with AG. Shorting it seems the simplest way.

Shorting it will only help if the square-wave driver has a significant output impedance. Otherwise the driver would already look like a short.

He does not say why he wants to shorten the ringing time.
I think the piezo transducer transmits an ultrasonic beep then is used as a echo receiver to determine distance. It cannot receive if it is still connected to a low impedance transmit circuit, so the circuit must be disconnected from the transducer, but maybe it is disconnected too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back