Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashahril96

Hi,
I am using voltage multiplier as the AC-DC converter for the Piezo.
Also, I am using a Power Supply Module to boost voltage to 9V.

Output of Voltage Multiplier is 10V
Power Supply Module input Voltage : 3.5V-12V.

Now when I input the Power supply with the voltage multiplier output, it capped at 1.09V and can't reach 3.5V to turn on the Power Supply Module.
Can anyone help me with this ?

Attachments

• 68c5acb6-5d14-4b2f-a5fc-c84370031806.jpg
    68c5acb6-5d14-4b2f-a5fc-c84370031806.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 226
This would go much better with an electrical schematic and if what exactly in detail you are trying to do were known. I see two piezo transducers in series? What is the goal with that? Exactly what is the application?

Ron

Hi,
I am using voltage multiplier as the AC-DC converter for the Piezo.
Also, I am using a Power Supply Module to boost voltage to 9V.

Output of Voltage Multiplier is 10V
Power Supply Module input Voltage : 3.5V-12V.

Now when I input the Power supply with the voltage multiplier output, it capped at 1.09V and can't reach 3.5V to turn on the Power Supply Module.
Can anyone help me with this ?

You've got pretty well no power at all from a couple of piezo's, I suggest you need to rethink what you're trying to do.

Piezos are higher voltage devices, operate in like tens of volts, and if you hook them in series, their voltage needs double. A few volts will do nothing to them. And they work much better with AC and at a resonant frequency; not DC as you mention. That is without comments about the unknown circuitry pictured.

to charge a 9V battery

Is the input energy some mechanical flexion of the piezo discs ? If you want to recharge the 9V battery with -say 0.1A- consider the piezo discs may supply about 0.00000001A for a tiny fraction of a second at the moment they are flexed.

h
Is the input energy some mechanical flexion of the piezo discs ? If you want to recharge the 9V battery with -say 0.1A- consider the piezo discs may supply about 0.00000001A for a tiny fraction of a second at the moment they are flexed.
how do I increase the current ?

to charge a 9V battery
OK, you want to charge a 9 volt battery. Harvesting piezo energy has become popular but you would do much better using a proven technology like solar.

h

how do I increase the current ?
This is the problem, you can't. You only have so much energy to begin with and you can never get more than you have. The piezo transducers you pictured are just small hobby types, they really do not output any power to speak of. However, the first real problem you face is the output of a piezo transducer is an AC not DC signal. You may wish to give Electricity Generation From Piezoelectric Element a read and see how converting the AC to DC is accomplished.

I am not saying that using piezo transducers to charge a battery can't be done. I am saying that the amount of energy you harvest will not be very much and charging even a small coin cell battery is a feat. The linked instructable is a pretty good and accurate read on the subject. Note how the author uses his voltage multipliers and how he discusses loss (efficiency).

Ron

A student spent a fortune buying thousands of piezo discs that were placed on a sidewalk and connected together to harvest energy. After many people walked on the discs all day long, a capacitor charged by them lit one LED for a few seconds.

The video in this thread shows flexed piezos driving an extremely small current to show the voltage on a high input resistance voltmeter.
If a few flexed piezos are used to charge a 9V battery then it will take years of flexing. The charging current might be less than the self-discharge current of the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back