Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho-path

Ok, I read all the tutorials in the sticky and I googled this.

I basically need to know how to get started with PICs.

I literally need to know how to even connect the PIC to the computer. I couldn't find any tutorials which cover the most basic stuff, for the ultimate beginner.

I have been learning extremely basic assembly(the most basic commands) because I heard assembly is good for programming PICs.

Can someone post a link to a simple tutorial?

It would also help alot if you could tell me how to connect the PIC to the computer. Do I use a serial port connector?

You can get an In circuit debugger/programmer that sits between the board and PC and use Microchip (or 3rd party) software to upload code to the chip. It can use a serial cable or USB, or whatever the ICD uses. It plugs into the PIC through a few pins that are run out of the board which you lead into a connector that plugs into another plug on the ICD.

Assembly is a language that is unique to the hardware of the chip (it's not like C++ where it's the same no matter what hardware it's running on). C is also good for programming chips if you have the right compiler (mainly one that is free).

psycho-path said:

I literally need to know how to even connect the PIC to the computer. I couldn't find any tutorials which cover the most basic stuff, for the ultimate beginner.

I have been learning extremely basic assembly(the most basic commands) because I heard assembly is good for programming PICs.

It would also help alot if you could tell me how to connect the PIC to the computer. Do I use a serial port connector?
as dknguyen said , you will need a programmer (a physical board ) to get the program into the PIC, some programmers use the serial port , some use the parallel port , some use the USB cable , although they are more expensive and others use another PIC to program the ' target ' PIC, and communicate with the pc by the serial port

Can I use the PIC chip alone by connecting things like LEDs to the pins?

BTW I bought a book called "PIC Robotics" by John Iovine and it says I need EPIC software and hardware(I think it's this:
**broken link removed** ). Damn I thought the book would manually tell me how to do everything from scratch lol. Are the PIC chips even sold separately?

Basically I want to do everything from scratch, so I get to say, "Hey, I built that".

My first mission is to light a single LED, not even flash it.

edit: I know some C++(C++ PIC tutorials?)

edit2: Here is a list of exactly what I want to learn(this is totally from scratch by getting the PIC and everything separately:

1. How to connect the PIC to the computer(which pins of PIC to use, what calbe/port to use)
2. How to program it(easy part)
3. How to connect a battery and LED so that the LED turns on

I think the hardest part for me right now is connecting the chip to the computer.

Last edited:
Hello

I know exactly what you going thru.
In 1984 my first lab experience of a flashing led took me 2 days !!
I had all the tools all the parts and schematic, just no one bothered to tell me which end of the soldering iron is HOT.

Here is your PC Serial PORT !!

**broken link removed**

This is the cable betwen you PC and the PIC/PIC programmer

**broken link removed**

I'm sure many out there are screaming now......who cares..
This is your 5*5 ["5 min/5 cent"] PIC programmer.

**broken link removed**

This the PC software you need to program your PIC

**broken link removed**

Download it from here.
http://www.ic-prog.com/icprog105D.zip
If you use XP or win2K download and install driver for it.
http://www.ic-prog.com/icprog_driver.zip
This is the company who make's the PIC, loot of good info.
Look for datasheet, and download for the pic you use.
**broken link removed**
Here is the IDE ["Integrated Development Environment"] you need to create a program for your PIC
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/mp743.zip

Programming is completed thru 3 PIN. MCLR, SDA, SCL.
MCLR pin need ~ 13 V to be able to go in to programing mode.
The data is sent to the PIC from your serial port on PORTB, 6 and 7.
Look up in you PIC datasheet which pin is on your PIC.
In my Example is pin 39 and 40.
This super easy ["not the most relaible"] programer will get the job fone for the firs few time, once you get going buy/make a real one.
You'll need ~ 5V DC to suply power for your PIC.
Just get 3*1.5 batery and conect it in series +:ltoet::gtoet:-+:ltoet::gtoet:-+:ltoet::gtoet:-
or get a 100ma or more regulated power suply

Here is a smale video I made in a big hurry.
Just get this done,
I'll be back.

Attachments

• MOSTEASYPP.gif
    MOSTEASYPP.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 203
A better programmer in my opinion would be the PicPro2, the schematic is free, and here :-

**broken link removed**

and the best software to use with it is here, and is also free :-

If you are using win2K or winXP remember to get the NT/2000 driver file as well...

The programmer runs from the parallel port on the PC. I have built several over the years for friends to use, and nobody has had any problems with it so far, so I would say it's pretty reliable, and handles loads and loads of chips, even programs most small eeproms as an added bonus.

I posted a real newbie type piece of code here...maybe you'll gain something from it...you can always edit the headers etc to compile it for whatever Pic you are playing with...:)

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/timer-0-interrupt-on-pic-16f629.24672/#post169012

I hope this helps ya a bit :)

psycho-path said:

Programmer is a device that connects the PIC to PC physicaly
When i started PIC programming i chose this programmer
https://www.angelfire.com/ok3/masterbyte/

I download ICProg
www.ic-prog.com/download.html
This is a software that send HEX file to PC ports.

A compiler.
It converts codes to HEX file.
As u r saying u want to program a PIC in assembly but it is difficult cuz u should have knowledge of PIC architecture.
When i started i use MikroBasic
https://www.mikroe.com/en/compilers/mikrobasic/pic/download.htm
It is easy to learn and it is free for only 2 kilobytes of memory. but it is enough memory for learner. it comes with examples. it is good for start.
May be u ask what is MikroBasic.
It is a BASIC language we write our program in Syntax(Human readable) and it converts that program to HEX file.

Steps.
1. Make a programmer
https://www.angelfire.com/ok3/masterbyte/

2. download ICProg
www.ic-prog.com/download.html

3. Download MikroBasic.
https://www.mikroe.com/en/compilers/mikrobasic/pic/download.htm

4. Write ur programe in MikroBasic it will convert it to HEX file.

5. open ur HEX file in ICProg

6. Send it to Programming device.

I am not a good programmer but i have program PIC about 20 times.

programmer and development board

I am in the same situation.............i just want to buy a programmer so i don't mess things up.......is a programmer and a development board the same thing?

not exactly, some development boards include the functions of an onboard programmer, some don't. A developement board can have as many trinkets as you wish on it, or as few.

For example, a basic development board will include an area on board where you can build your own circuits to go along with your target device, a pototyping area if you like, it will include the power supply regulator, perhaps the clock generation components, like a xtal or resonator and a socket for the chip you are using with the pins brought out to a header so you can access them to connect to the circuit you build on the prototyping area.

A more complicated one will perhaps have an in-circuit programmer on board so that you can program the target device, and perhaps even run the Microchip debugger on it.
Plus you can have all sorts of stuff from LED's to Pots, switches and other goodies, like memories, and clock chips and...and...the list is pretty much endless.

A straight programmer is exactly that, it does nothing except program, your target device.

If it were me, I would go for a good quality programmer, and a reasonable sized breadboard with onboard power supplies for 5V, +/- 12V and +/- 15V, or at least with a 5V supply on it, or just a plain breadboard with a wall wart type regulated 5V 1A supply.

Development boards are handy for one or two chips in a range, my prefered solution is better suited to general prototyping with multiple designs, and not just with the PIC in mind.

I'd use this and a 16F628.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back