Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICs - resilient little things

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustinetez

Been pulling the hair out trying to sort either a coding or register configuration problem for the last couple of days.

A simple toggle of a pin (16F886, PORTC,4) to change some data displayed on the LCD wouldn't work.

Initially couldn't figure out why a pin was sitting at 5V with nothing connected to it and it's TRIS register set to an input.:confused:

Then after correcting that problem and using a new PIC, it still wouldn't work.:facepalm:

Turns out I should have taken a week off from any sort of electronics stuff - in order of stupidity:-

1/ I managed to connect said pin on PIC #1 to the incoming unregulated supply - input pin fried.:oops:

2/ Somehow, there occurred a short on the test jig and the PIC was being fed 9.95 V instead of 5V.:arghh:

So, after giving myself a good smack around the ears and fixing those problems, I confidently sat down and plugged a new PIC in, expecting to see the correct operation of the program - not to be.

3/ I had managed to bend the pin over, so it wasn't actually plugged in to the socket.:banghead:

Result - 3 PIC's all fed 9.95V - one with a fried input but otherwise still working and two others both working fine - for now - I suspect they will drop dead sooner rather than later.:mad::mad::mad:

It's amazing what you can make with 20+ year old process equipment.

Long live PIC Assembler!!

I'm a big believer that you should learn assembler before anything else, as it forces you to understand the hardware - once relatively competent at that it's easier to move to a high level language. This is also particularly important with many new PIC's, as datasheets and examples are often all in C rather than assembler.

Doggy's note to self #3:
put white-out on or next to pin 0 of the chip/bus & on the header/socket

I have two versions of my LCD backpack board using a 16F18854. I (stupidly) swapped around the ICP socket on the second revision and subsequently connected boards with the ISP connector the wrong way around. Result, never any damage. I now use the first (non usable) boards for just testing code. I need to start doing the white out thing on one of the boards and a red out thing on the others.

Mike.
Edit, lack of white out could (should) indicate red out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back