Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit2 Ebay Vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW

On another thread, MaxHeadRoom78 mentioned one Ebay vendor selling PICkit2 programmers for $8 (Ebay item #201325676677) with free shipping. Looking at other Ebay listings, it appears that $8 is the going rate for these. Obviously clones, but I haven't heard about very many problems with them. Just wondering if anyone has ordered from this vendor, or can suggest another vendor that they've had good success with?

The reason why I ask is that I've posted a couple of PIC based projects, and a few people have asked me if I could send them preprogrammed PIC's. For obvious reasons, I would rather point them to a cheap (and reliable) programmer that they could get from Ebay, and do it themselves.

I got a couple of the PICkit 2 clones pictured below. In the small amount of testing I've done with them, they appear to operate just like the real deal.

These units don't have the same circuit board as my Microchip PICkit 2 but they appear to be well made and fully functional.

I've purchased a lot of things from this vendor including a number of different types of chips and have been very satisfied with everything I've purchased from them.

SmartSelectImage_2017-03-29-18-33-45.png

If you look around you can get pk3's for that money, but it is questionable if the PK3 is a better option.

Actually no, stick with bomb proof PK2.

Thanks guys. It would help if you gave links to Ebay listings that you're referring to.

My own personal preference is the PICkit 3, but I specifically asked about the PICkit 2 because I knew that they are typically in the $8 range with free shipping. At this price, you can get the programmer for less money than I can ship a preprogrammed PIC (Canada Post rates are astronomic). That's the goal. I don't want to be in the thankless business of supplying preprogrammed PIC's.

Hey, Bob... Did you know the LVP (Low Voltage Programming) architecture on the more recent PICs would allow you to program a PIC with an inexpensive Arduino (like a $2 Nano)? All you'd have to do is supply an Arduino 'sketch' containing the PIC hex file and programming algorithm. The user would need to upload the sketch to his/her Arduino and hook up a few wires between the Arduino and the PIC. The only caveat using LVP is that you must leave the MCLR pin configured for the MCLR function (you can't configure it for use as an input).

Unless you use chips the PICkit 2 won't support, it's the winner. Easy to use with the stand-alone GUI interface and the UART tool, logic tool & analyzer are great additions.

If you're going to send people a programmer just so you don't have to supply preloaded PICs, the PICkit 2 is the way to go - no need for them to deal with MPLAB at all.

Hey, Bob... Did you know the LVP (Low Voltage Programming) architecture on the more recent PICs would allow you to program a PIC with an inexpensive Arduino (like a $2 Nano)? All you'd have to do is supply an Arduino 'sketch' containing the PIC hex file and programming algorithm. The user would need to upload the sketch to his/her Arduino and hook up a few wires between the Arduino and the PIC. The only caveat using LVP is that you must leave the MCLR pin configured for the MCLR function (you can't configure it for use as an input).
Useful to know. Thanks. However, for this application, I have to keep this as simple as possible for people who've never programmed a PIC before. As JonSea says in the above post, the PICkit 2 is hard to beat.
If you're going to send people a programmer...
I won't be sending anyone a programmer or anything else. They can order their own programmer and their own PIC, and they can use the hex file that I've posted.

Sadly most wont get that far, surprising how few people will pick up so much as a soldering iron for the first time. My programmer sat unopened for almost a week before I would connect it. And I was desperate at the time.

Useful to know. Thanks. However, for this application, I have to keep this as simple as possible for people who've never programmed a PIC before. As JonSea says in the above post, the PICkit 2 is hard to beat.
I understand, but, for anyone with a meager hobby budget, myself included, buying a $2 Arduino Nano that you can re-use for other projects seems like a no-brainer. Especially when you consider that you'd connect it to the target PIC and program that PIC in much the same way that you would with a PICKIT2. You'd just need a PIC LVP programmer sketch to initially load into the Nano. IIRC, someone over on hackaday.io has already done this. And if the end user simply wants to duplicate your project, he/she are only out $2 instead of $8 for a "one time" programmer.

Food for thought. Have fun. Cheerful regards, Mike

Big chip and bootloader I've used that and program that works almost like arduino.
It works great for lots of things.
Really only drawback is it using a linux compiler that has limited chips.

Thanks guys. It would help if you gave links to Ebay listings that you're referring to.

Just a warning, but if this is your first economy rate shipment from China get ready for a 4 week to 16 week wait to Canada. The wait times are ridiculous and seemingly random as to what gets through relatively quickly and what takes 4 months.

Also, I would suggest the PK3. No reason to go with an unsupported programmer at this point. Mine is a clone, with no issues.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PICkit3-PIC...lator-ICSP-for-FLASH-ROM-EEPROM-/192046175744

Yes, I'm painfully aware of the slow delivery. In the past couple of years, I've seen it go from about 30 days or less to about 3 months on average. There's at least one vendor that I've dealt with in the past who won't ship to Canada anymore. If delivery times remain this long, I'm afraid that more sellers will quit shipping to Canada as well.

Bob just a thought, I havnt seen him around for ages but, a member here Jason started his own business, he mainly sells his own designs etc. But I know a couple of times he sold preprogrammed pics for people, might be worth contacting him and see if he still does it.

I got a pickit 3 for 8 dollars they said shiping 4 to 12 weeks i took a 7 day upgrade so it cost me 16 to get it took 2 weeks lol

It works great with power and the MPLAB IPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back