Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18F4550 and USB connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopperito

Has anyone attempted connecting a pic 18f4550 to a pc usb port? The specs say 'directly connect' but there isn't a circuit schematic, and this chip I have is my only USB capable PIC MCU. I'm guessing at this point, but am I safe to assume that once I get this USB issue right, I should be able to program my higher end PICs from this 4550 chip? Either by ICSP, or bootloaders?

Greetins Hop'... I believe the USB pins are "direct connect" to a USB connector... I recall seeing this in one of the Microchip "Migrating to USB" type documents... Also, check out the Microcontroller > USB forums on FORUM.MICROCHIP... A couple threads there discuss the pitfalls of converting the Microchip USB 'C' firmware for operation on the '2550/'4550...

Good luck... Regards, Mike - K8LH

Hopperito said:
I'm guessing at this point, but am I safe to assume that once I get this USB issue right, I should be able to program my higher end PICs from this 4550 chip? Either by ICSP, or bootloaders?

If you want to build a PIC programmer around it, I suggest you look at the PICKit1 on the MicroChip website, that gives all the details (including PC and PIC source) to build a USB PIC programmer - using the older 16C745 USB PIC.

Attachments

• usb_connection_16c745.jpg
    usb_connection_16c745.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,022
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back