Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18F beginner, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lygray

Hello,

I am new here and I have had good experiences on different forums. I am participating in a project and my portion is building a network card using a PIC18F2520.

I have never learned to do any of this stuff before. I am very familiar with Basic language but not so much with C language. I dont know where to start or even what software to use. I dont have a development board for this PIC.

For example, how would I get a pre-defined array to this PIC from a software I developed in Visual Basic 9.0. Im sorry about asking so much but I guess I would have to start at:

What are the steps to program a PIC18F2520? (software, files, cables?)

I would appreciate all your help. Thank you: confused:

Since BASIC is your thing take a look at Swordfish BASIC for the 18F
All you need is a programmer like the PICkit2 or my Junebug (a PK2 compatible with tutor)

Ok, I am getting swordfish basic right now. I guess it might be important to say that my transciever module for this board is going to be Microchip's MRF24j40 and we will be using Miwi protocol.

Does this change any software requirements?

Like do I have to find a software that will also compile for Miwi or can I use two separate independent software's?

Oh, ok. you made me worry I needed a different pic...lol!

Anyway, so with this C30, I can program both the pic and the miwi stuff?

It would have to be in C language though right?

MRF24J40 need to be interfaced via SPI port, connected to your favourite MicroController.

You program the MicroController to talk to your MRF24J40 with a Compiler. Assembler, C, Pascal, Basic... they all do the job.

C30 is only for PIC24 and dsPIC. For PIC18, you need C18

Last edited:
Ok, I do have C18 but it looks indimidating because I have never programmed a microcontroller before. Well I have done the Motorola HCS12 with Code Warrior but I think this is different.

Will C18 do everything for the pic and MRF24j40 or do I need another software?

For my MPLAB, i just installed the MiWi stack for pic18.

Do I need anything else software-wise?

Thank you guys, you are helping me see clearly...

ok, now that the software is there, do I need to get a devel board like the Junebug to program my pic?

Get an MPLAB compatible programmer like the PICkit2. My Junebug was not designed to work with PICs that are not 5v tolerent.

PS not many simple programmers support the 24 series PICs so check before you buy.

Looking at the datasheet, the pic18f2520 accomodates a vdd between 4.2 to 5.5V.

I am going to be connecting 5V to the pic and regulating the voltage to the MRF24J40 to 3.3V.

Is there an reasonably priced development boards that work with MPLAB C18 and my pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back