Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18 tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohanevindra

i'm over with the project, but now its time for the exam, and we dont know what comes in the exam cos there are no past papers. i know there are some PIC16 tutorials mentioned in the "sticky" in this forum, but will these apply for the PIC18F452? i need some sites which will give me a kind of crash course for the exam. i've programmed quite a bit with the PIC, but i need a more overall knowledge on the PIC, plus he might be asking some hardware interfacing questions too...

Hi,

The 18F range are just a natural extention of the 16F range.

Probably the single most useful thing, depending on your point of view, is the way all memory can be addressed without Paging and with the ram banks being large the need for Banking is greatly reduced.

Most intstructions are the same, a few do change as do a few of the system registers but these are soon identified when you build your project.

There are a few more handy intructions like movff and it is optimised for C.

Just look at a 18F chips data sheet and instruction set; this migration pdf shows most of the other improvements.

The best way to quicky learn about them - if you have an existing 16F project then migrate it to a 18F chip in Mplab and test it with Sim - you will soon see how easy it is and the extra potential of these 18F chips.

If you do try this use one of the simpler chips like the 18F4520, don't rush into the USB chips like the complicated 18F4550.

Attachments

• 16to18Migration.pdf
    368.5 KB · Views: 293
Hi Guys

These tutorials are for the PIC18F4550.
**broken link removed**

Slorn

Last edited:
thanks guys..

i have a PIC18 theory exam in a few days, and i dont know wht's gonna be asked so need to increase my knowledge asap!!!! tell me if you know of any other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back