Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F877A, or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanes

Ok, I know this sounds a lame question, but I can't find an answer in the forum, and I can't get on with Microchip's part selector.

Basically, I'm in the final stages of development of my microswitch/bumper robot control. I think now it's at the point where I'm reasonably confident it could do a decent job of navigating my robot if other sensors were to fail. (In fact, I know it can. Pics/details etc. available on request)
Anyway, until now I've just been running my chassis with the microswitches and a 16F54. Yes, it's adequate for the robot in it's current state.

Now I've got some Sharp IR sensors the current PIC is not up to the task. So ideally I need a PIC with;
A-to-D conversion
2 PWM channels
Reasonable popularity (so I can look at example code)
Enough digital outputs for debugging, motor control and reading the switches.

Looking at various projects I see the 16F877A is popular, but it's a massive chip. Now there's not really anything wrong with that, but I was wondering if there was anything smaller out there with those features above.(Although the sight of an 877 with about 12 pins used would probably make people giggle)

The 16F876 would be fine but if you can get a 16F886 then it is an 876 with an internal oscillator and so you won't need an external crystal.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back