Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC12F683 Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Stafford

Hi all I am new here and dont have much experience in this sort of stuff, I was wondering if you guys could advise me on which programmer to build to program a PIC12F683 chip I want something that will be fairly simple to make and be able to buy the parts from my local Maplin store maplin.co.uk/Home.aspx, cheers.

Buy a PICkit2 programmer. It will work, it will program all the Microchip PIC's and you can concentrate on building your projects.

Don't know if Maplin sell it but **broken link removed** and Farnell do.

Last edited:
Buy a PICkit2 programmer. It will work, it will program all the Microchip PIC's and you can concentrate on building your projects.

Cheers mate but I want something I can get today not waiting days for the stuff to come.

I brought a velleman K8048 of the same guy I brought the 12F683 chips of he told me that this programmer would program these chips but I have recently been told that this programmer is not compatible and I have looked on the velleman website and the is not listed in the supported devices list, is there a way I can mod this programmer to work with the 12F683 chips ?

So the PICKit2 from farnell will work with the 12F683 ?
The PICkit2 will

And there is no way I can mod my Vellman K8048 to do this ?
I've no idea on that one.

I only use PICKit2/clones (I have three) because they work with all Microchips PICs and when they release new devices they provide free software updates to support them.

Last edited:
The PICkit2 will

I've no idea on that one.

I only use PICKit2/clones (I have three) because they work with all Microchips PICs and when they release new devices they provide free software updates to support them.

Where did you get your PICKit2/clones from ?

These 3 choices make much sense to me.

Buy a Junebug kit or assembled from BlueRoomElectronics
Buy an original PICkit
Build a clone from scratch based on either the PICkit2 schematics or the Junebug schematics.

I like the Junebug because it has all through hole parts and has the built in target board for the 18F1320. The price difference between other clones and the original are so small you may as well buy the original. (last time I checked)

Where did you get your PICKit2/clones from ?

I've got a genuine Microchip PICKit2, a Junebug (Bill kindly sent me the PCB and I built it up) and one of these **broken link removed** which I modified slightly so it uses the same 10-way header as the Junebug.

Bare in mind that if you build a clone it will need the on board PIC 18F2550 programming with the bootloader (chicken and egg :)). If you buy a kit it should come with it preprogrammed.

However, given the timescale you indicated in your second post, your best option is still a genuine PICKit2.

... and one of these **broken link removed** which I modified slightly so it uses the same 10-way header as the Junebug.

which one did you build - pickit2-1 or pickit2-1-mod? I converted the pickit2-1-mod design to surface mount parts and am almost to the point where I'm ready to send the board off to be made. What's your experience been with that design? I'm trying to decide if I should proto it or go straight to a PCB.

Have you tried the microchip logic analyzer on it?

which one did you build - pickit2-1 or pickit2-1-mod?
I did the 2-1-mod version.

I used a ZVP2106A P-MOSFET for Q3/Q5
R7/8/9 47R instead of 33R shown
R1/R5 10K instead of 12K
C7 470nF instead of 330nf
R4 100R instead of 75R
R10/11/12 470R instead of 680R

Not tried the UART or Logic analyser applications with it, but as a programmer it works okay

Attachments

• pk2c.jpg
    pk2c.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back