Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleoestrada

Hi All,

I would like to start programming PICs. Can someone pls tell me which programmer is good out there - I want all ports accessible and built in switches and preferably an LCD too. This is so that I can test my progs i development board. Also I need to code in C or Basic pls.

Thx

Cleo :)

?

An LCD, built in switches? all ports accessible? Are you sure you aren't confusing a carrier board with a programmer? The carrier board is the circuit board with the PIC chip on it with switches and other doodads, and the programmer is a separate device that connects between the PC and PIC so you can upload code to it.

Some carrier boards have a programmer built-in so that you don't need a separate device- you can plug the PC cable into the board to program. Maybe this is what you are referring to? A carrier board with onboard programmer?

Anyways, if I had to buy a general purpose board full of switches, LCDs and an onboard programmer, I like these:

For dsPIC (digital signal processor PICs)
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

For Regular PICs:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

You can just use the Microchip's student version of MPLAB2 with C-compiler addon to write code for the PICs (it's free). Then just use the software for the programmer to upload your code onto the board. Although I should mention that the makers of the above carrier boards have their own C compiler (which you have to buy) that is easier to understand. It is also more integrated and closely tied to their carrier boards
**broken link removed**
(This C compiler only works for PIC chips, not dsPIC chips because they don't have a C compiler for them yet)

Last edited:
RE: Pic Programmers

Yes this is exactly what I wanted but I thought that they were called programmers. Thx for your kind reply.

I would look into these links.

Thx

Cleo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back