Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC plus-5110 LCD-GPS-BMP280-HMC5983

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks right now !
Dorset air pressure 1025mb.
mb = Pa / 100

There is formula for height based on air pressure.
I will look for it.

That looks right now !
Dorset air pressure 1025mb.
mb = Pa / 100

There is formula for height based on air pressure.
I will look for it.
Hi J,
Multiply the atmospheric pressure in hectopascals times 100 using a scientific calculator. For example, the pressure is 1037 hPa: 1037 x 100 = 103700.

Divide your answer by 101325 using a scientific calculator. For example, 103700/101325 = 1.2034.

Take the natural log of your answer using a scientific calculator. For example, ln (1.2034) = 0.02316.

Multiply your answer times 287.053 using a scientific calculator. For example, 0.02316 x 287.053 = 6.6507.

Multiply your answer times the product of the temperature plus 459.67 and 5/9 using a scientific calculator. For example, 6.6507 x [(37 + 459.67) x 5/9] = 1835.116.

Divide your answer by -9.8 using a scientific calculator. For example, 1835.116/-9.8 = -187.25. Your altitude is -187.25 meters, or 187.25 meters below sea level.

I'm not sure I'll be doing much diving though:eek:
C

Hi,
I've looked at the settings, and I think I have the best to suit me, but I'm getting readings that vary XXXXX0 to 1 ish.
How can I make an average of 10 readings, by adding the new reading on each LOOP, dividing by 10, subtracting one reading, and so on?
C.

hi C,
You need a ring buffer for your averaging.

Be aware of the size of a 10 reading Sum, does not exceed the LONG or SINGLE type.
E

hi C,
This is demo play Basic of the buffer, use the Sim and PORTA.0 ADC to vary the test value.
I have used two Proc' to make it easier to follow.
NOTE: the latency [ delay] in getting the final Average result;
For a 10 long array its 10 readings.!

Ask if you have problem.
E

Attachments

• A001.gif
    A001.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 214
  • RingBfr1.bas
    1.8 KB · Views: 204
Hi,
I've looked at the settings, and I think I have the best to suit me, but I'm getting readings that vary XXXXX0 to 1 ish.
How can I make an average of 10 readings, by adding the new reading on each LOOP, dividing by 10, subtracting one reading, and so on?
C.
You can specify oversampling / filtering in control register 0XF4.
It can reduce noise in pressure to about 0.2 Pa ~ about 2cm in height.
Do you need absolute height or change in height?
I found a formula for height vs. pressure and temperature:

h = 29.26 × T × ln ( P0 / P )
T is temperature in kelvins, P0 pressure at ground level.
For example at T=22 C ( 295.15 K )
h~8636 × ln (P0 / P )
and 12 Pa change is about 1m.

You can specify oversampling / filtering in control register 0XF4.
It can reduce noise in pressure to about 0.2 Pa ~ about 2cm in height.
Do you need absolute height or change in height?
I found a formula for height vs. pressure and temperature:

h = 29.26 × T × ln ( P0 / P )
T is temperature in kelvins, P0 pressure at ground level.
For example at T=22 C ( 295.15 K )
h~8636 × ln (P0 / P )
and 12 Pa change is about 1m.
Hi J,
Thanks.
Here are the settings given in #483, this is why I am trying to average 10x READings.
PORTD.5 = 0 'CHIP SELECT BMP280 ON
SPISend 0x74 'WRITE 0xF4 Control CTRL_MEAS reg addr
SPISend 0x5f '%01011111 T/ON P/ON 't_x2 p_x16 Normal Mode
PORTD.5 = 1 'CHIP SELECT BMP280 OFF
EDIT: Error corrected (Hopefully)
C.

Last edited:
hi C,
This is demo play Basic of the buffer, use the Sim and PORTA.0 ADC to vary the test value.
I have used two Proc' to make it easier to follow.
NOTE: the latency [ delay] in getting the final Average result;
For a 10 long array its 10 readings.!

Ask if you have problem.
E
Hi E,
I'm going to try it straight into the program, instead of the SIM, I can compare the results with a none AVE program, and your results.

What was the latency, or more to the point, what would you expect it to be in a working program?

EDIT: Would you be good enough to convert it to an actual program section please? With 'pr' as the READing, instead of SAMPLE.
C

Last edited:
hi C,
I would need your latest working program.
E

Hi E,
Here's my attempt but I don't think it's working properly.
I get READings between 103069 to 77.
C.

Attachments

• 18LF4520 PCB TEMP PRES CALC AVERAGE 040218 1900.bas
    9.1 KB · Views: 201
You have as buffer index and buffer value the same variable = pr ( word ) and pressure = pr ( single ).
Does'nt compiler give error messages?

eric
I hope this doesn't pull the thread OT, but I do not quite see what you are doing in Post #486:

upload_2018-2-4_15-17-20.png

The first value (68) is easy to get. With some crazy assumptions, I get the next value. But I cannot get the third value. Does it ever settle to 682?

My first impression from your code was a simple moving average (FIR):

Code:
'sum all 10 values of the ring bfr
For x = 0 To 9
sum = sum + mybfr(x)
Next x
average = sum / 10

But there seems more to it than that. My main reference for the math is this: https://www.analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/design-handbooks/MixedSignal_Sect6.pdf Specifically, I am referencing Figure 6.8 in that link:

upload_2018-2-4_15-25-50.png

Can you explain, perhaps by a worked example, how you get the highlighted value? Also, why it doesn't seem to settle on 682?

Regards, John

You have as buffer index and buffer value the same variable = pr ( word ) and pressure = pr ( single ).
Does'nt compiler give error messages?
Hi J,
No error, the compiler probably accepted the last order.
I sense that there are errors in my efforts, but I'm not much of a programmer today.
C.

Anyway the mybfr(), sum, average should be singles as you calculate with pressure values,, which are singles.

eric
I hope this doesn't pull the thread OT, but I do not quite see what you are doing in Post #486:

View attachment 110718

The first value (68) is easy to get. With some crazy assumptions, I get the next value. But I cannot get the third value. Does it ever settle to 682?

Code:
For x = 0 To 9
sum = sum + mybfr(x)
Next x
average = sum / 10

But there seems more to it than that. My main reference for the math is this: https://www.analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/design-handbooks/MixedSignal_Sect6.pdf Specifically, I am referencing Figure 6.8 in that link:

View attachment 110719

Can you explain, perhaps by a worked example, how you get the highlighted value? Also, why it doesn't seem to settle on 682?

Regards, John
In the basic program ( msg#486 ) the buffer size is 9, should be 10, index 0- 9

Hi,
Here's the latest with corrections MARKED ??????????? ###############
Gives readings between 102952 to 61

EDIT: Should line: 'If index > 9 Then index = 0' also be 10?
EDITEDIT: I tried it and it looks like it's trying, but it could be my imagination.

C

Attachments

• 18LF4520 PCB TEMP PRES CALC AVERAGE 050218 0900.bas
    9.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
eric

View attachment 110718

Code:
For x = 0 To 9
sum = sum + mybfr(x)
Next x
average = sum / 10

View attachment 110719

Regards, John
Hi J2,
I'm guessing that when E, simulated these numbers, he set the INPUT and watched the result. On the PCB the INPUT is changing all of the time, so I assume that eventually, the result would show 682 using the SIM, but not on the PCB.

The D/S strongly suggests that 'Burst READ' is used. This is to avoid READs of different columns happening as one of them rolls over, so between 09 and 10 could READ 19. or 190 with a different column.

Is this a possible reason that the READings jump about a bit?
C.

hi,
Using Singles in the program as a replacement for Words is not a problem.
The posted Basic program was to show only the principle of averaging a ring buffer.

The final value does converge, this modified program shows that, also has only 5 index's. Uses 12345.56 as the sample value.

Attachments

• A008.gif
    A008.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 207
  • RingBfr2.bas
    1.8 KB · Views: 186
Hi J2,
I'm guessing that when E, simulated these numbers, he set the INPUT and watched the result. On the PCB the INPUT is changing all of the time, so I assume that eventually, the result would show 682 using the SIM, but not on the PCB.

The D/S strongly suggests that 'Burst READ' is used. This is to avoid READs of different columns happening as one of them rolls over, so between 09 and 10 could READ 19. or 190 with a different column.

Is this a possible reason that the READings jump about a bit?
C.
It is normal, that they jump a bit.
About RMS noise in the datasheet:
Standard resolution 2.1 Pa
with 16x oversampling 0.3 Pa

Ultrahigh resolution 1.3 Pa and 0.2 Pa

Have you looked at the jumps, how big they are at worst?
If there are some high peeks, median filter might be better.
It is simple: take a number of samples, sort them from lowest to highest and choose the middle one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back