Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC development board suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky-Luka

Hi all
I am thinking about designing a PIC development board similar to this one:
https://www.rhydolabz.com/developme...-development-board-mini-rhydolabz-p-1928.html
I have to say that I am still in the specifications phase of the project but I thought about a development board to let college students experiment what is taught in an embedded course without the need of connecting everything to a breadboard every time.
I was thinking about powering it using a 12V 3A power supply for it like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Chanzon-Swit...rds=power+supply+12v+3a&qid=1608659328&sr=8-3
I would like to design a motor driver board to complete this kind of demo board. I was thinking about dc brushed motor and servo motor that usually work at 5-6V and stepper motor at 12V.
A DC motor driver for 2 brushed DC (3-6V) motors stalling will need less than 2A more or less (I was thinking TB6612FNG as driver)
A servo motor like MG995 (5-7V) will need 1.5A stalling more or less
A NEMA17 stepper motor (12V) will need less than 2A (I was thinking A3967 as driver)
I don't think that everything needs to work at the same time or I will need 5 amps or more... This is a topic I still have to discuss with my professor though. I am just starting to gather ideas.
What do you think the power part of the board should look like?
Maybe a buck converte 12v-6v and a low dropout linear regulator to power the PIC and other peripherals at 5V?
The power part of the aforementioned board I think is not the best solution...
https://www.rhydolabz.com/documents/SCH-0226 Schematic1.pdf
Any suggestions will be greatly apreciated.

I taught a friends child how to program using a pic development board and found the mini boards available at Futurlec very useful. The DS1307 (RTC) board for learning I²C, the stepper and motor boards for learning about feedback etc. Maybe design your own board with these mini boards in mind.

Mike.

Have a look back at this old post, the OP seemed to create a nice development board.

JimB

A lot of sensors will only operate on 3.3v max.

Adding an I2C 3.3v interface using a pair of bidirectional level shifters is probably a good idea.

A second pair of level shifters might be nice for other digital sensor types.

I've used this circuit many times. It's simple and compact. For an I2C interface I use 4.7k pull-ups. For general purpose use, I use 10k pull-ups. 2N7000 or 2N7002 mosfets work great in this circuit.

Arduino-To-Raspberry-Pi-Level-Shifter.jpg

I have "developed " many ( too many) PIC boards , with various projects in mind, personally i would think BIG and fast (16MIPS) , PIC24 or dsPIC33 with at least 66 pins (53 IO) ,Go for biggest program and data memory (1024 / 32 kb) provide some dedicated peripheral connectors, I2C, Uart, SPI , PWM, ADC, even USB , Most PICs now have PPS to allow fexable external pin connections , include at least one LED to flash at startup, Vdd at 3.3v but some IO are 5v tolerant Power for the Dev board for my projects is best left external .
( Sorry pic a bit fuzzy)
MAXPIC.jpg

I have "developed " many ( too many) PIC boards , with various projects in mind, personally i would think BIG and fast (16MIPS) , PIC24 or dsPIC33 with at least 66 pins (53 IO) ,Go for biggest program and data memory (1024 / 32 kb) provide some dedicated peripheral connectors, I2C, Uart, SPI , PWM, ADC, even USB , Most PICs now have PPS to allow fexable external pin connections , include at least one LED to flash at startup, Vdd at 3.3v but some IO are 5v tolerant Power for the Dev board for my projects is best left external .
( Sorry pic a bit fuzzy)
My project has master students as target. 8 bit PIC is ok. Max 40pins. through hole components if possible. I even think 5V is ok for the logic. It's their first "serious" approach to uC. Everything more powerful would be an overkill IMHO.

My project has master students as target. 8 bit PIC is ok. Max 40pins. through hole components if possible. I even think 5V is ok for the logic. It's their first "serious" approach to uC. Everything more powerful would be an overkill IMHO.
A good philosophy, the pilot of a Boeing 747 probably started his flying career by learning in a Cessna.

JimB

I agree.. walk before you run , i started like most i guess with 8 bit PIC16F84 and asm. back in 2000's , but as soon as i moved to C , i realised 8 bit is a bit restrictive, especially with Interrupts and math code .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back