Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC circuit project

Status
Not open for further replies.

neh

I'm pretty new to electronic and microchip design so I thought I'd post here to get some help with a project of mine.

What I'll have is a PIC (probably 16 pin) set up on a board that takes a switch input and sets off a solenoid. Its supplied by 9.6 volt battery, and the solenoid is powered through a 6800 uf 16v capacitor. Below are the basic components I think that I'll need to get it to run properly:

-MOSFET from PIC that will connect the solenoid to the capacitor (actually I'm not really clear on the circuit design of that, could anyone explain it?)
-switch to the PIC to let it know when to turn on
-timer to regulate how long the solenoid is activated and also how long between delays (not sure if PICs have built in timers)
-5v regulator from the battery to the pic

I've got some more features that I want to add, but I think this would get me started. Am I right in assuming thats all I'd need to get a solenoid to activate from a PIC for a set amount of time?

How long do you want to activate the solenoid for? You could do this with a single 555 timer if it's under a few minutes. If it's higher, you can use a 555 timer plus some counter logic ICs. To achieve a delay, use another 555 timer.

If you decide that you want to use a PIC, the majority of them have timers. I would recommend the 16F84 because they're easily obtainable.

For ideas on driving a coil with a cap, check out this website:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back