Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

can anybody recomend a decent PIC book for a total beginner ?
possibly something that uses a 16F88 and some 18F pics lets leave the 16F84 behind

This is the bible I use;

Title: Programming and Customizing PICmicro Microcontrollers
Author: Mike Predko
ISBN: 0-07-136172-3

I first read the book to teach me about PIC hardware and programming. Now I use it as a good desk reference.

Brian

Brian Hoskins said:
This is the bible I use;

Title: Programming and Customizing PICmicro Microcontrollers
Author: Mike Predko
ISBN: 0-07-136172-3

I first read the book to teach me about PIC hardware and programming. Now I use it as a good desk reference.

Brian

hi Brian,
I bought the book some years ago, I must say, it was disappointing and I wouldnt recommend it.:(
It would be interesting to know what other members thought of the book and the freebie programmer pcb.

There are lots of PIC type specific tutorials on the web.

ericgibbs said:
hi Brian,
I bought the book some years ago, I must say, it was disappointing and I wouldnt recommend it.:(
It would be interesting to know what other members thought of the book and the freebie programmer pcb.

There are lots of PIC type specific tutorials on the web.

hm what didn't you like about it I have one pro and one con I'll try goggleing it where on the web can I buy it ?

Last edited:
well I bought it as it was going for 5 £ second hand so why not its 960 pages must have something in it suprised at the huge difference in new and used prices amazon want 25 £ for it

Thunderchild said:
well I bought it as it was going for 5 £ second hand so why not its 960 pages must have something in it suprised at the huge difference in new and used prices amazon want 25 £ for it

Read my last edited post...

Dont waste time with the free programmer pcb [if its included in S/H]..:rolleyes:

I thought the book provided a lot of useful information. I was completely new to Microcontrollers at the time, so the fact that it was "general" as Eric describes it, was a good thing for me.

I never used the free programmer though. The PCB board is still inside the front cover.

Brian

well I'll see how it is I don't mind some extras info in a 1000+ page book I pay 5 £ for I'll let you know how I like it

Well that pic book by preko was the most expensive fire starter I've ever used and as far as the software I installed it on my laptop and needed to reformat the hard drive after. I bough 2 of his books and they were the worst book purchases I ever made.

Just my 2.2 cents worth

well "Embedded design with the PIC18F452 Microcontroller" is quite a price its not on amazon uk and even on amazon.com they want 35 $ for a second hand one and if it gets sent all that way it will cost in postage and possibly import tax ?

EDIT:

its on amazon.co.uk as well but low and behold they want 30 £ for a secondhand one I'll keep that one in mind though it looks good I justr can't fork out that much right now

Last edited:
felis said:
"Embedded design with the PIC18F452 Microcontroller" by John B. Peatman. Try to find it new - it comes with the nice PCB for the development board.
hi,
I have a copy of this book, I am satisfied even though its pricey.

If I knew then, what I know now, I wouldnt have bought any PIC books, there is so much on the web, including tutorials,,,, for free.

ericgibbs said:
hi,
If I knew then, what I know now, I wouldnt have bought any PIC books, there is so much on the web, including tutorials,,,, for free.

I think you're right about that Eric.

Brian

I think you're right about that Eric.

Brian

I'll second that notion. I learned assembly programming of the PIC just by on-line work.

Nigel's tutorials have stood the test of time, and there are plenty of others, using a variety of chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back