Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient

OK I have a project I would like to do that would require a small PIC. (limited space). I just had some general questions about PIC's

1. Is Microchip the sole maker of "PICs" because its patented and the name is copyrighted?

2. If I find a PIC programmer can I assume it works with all PIC's of the right pin numbers? Or do I need to look at brands?(from question1).

3. Where can I find a cheap, low parts count serial programmer for the 8-pin PICs. I have googled it for 2 hours now with no luck. I would prefer to be able to use software for the programmer that uses C or C++.

If you guys know of any site that would help out please mention it. Thanks.

Ambient said:
OK I have a project I would like to do that would require a small PIC. (limited space). I just had some general questions about PIC's

1. Is Microchip the sole maker of "PICs" because its patented and the name is copyrighted?
Yes. There are other manufacturers out there that make similar microcontrollers, like Atmel, but PIC is a Microchip-only brand name.

2. If I find a PIC programmer can I assume it works with all PIC's of the right pin numbers? Or do I need to look at brands?(from question1).
Any PIC programmer you find should ideally come with a list of the PICs that it supports. Quite often, the main limiting factor is the software - if the software is outdated, it won't support the newest PICs. MOST programmers will handle most of the "usual" PICs that most hobbyists will be using.

3. Where can I find a cheap, low parts count serial programmer for the 8-pin PICs. I have googled it for 2 hours now with no luck. I would prefer to be able to use software for the programmer that uses C or C++.
The JDM serial programmer is a simple, low parts-count programmer. There are a bunch of different programming software packages that support it, like IC-Prog, WinPIC800, etc. It's so popular, I don't see how you could have missed it with a google search...
However, it does have some serious limitations which I don't feel like rehashing again, but you can find more information if you search the forums. I'm sure Nigel will be here any minute to tell you how bad they are ;)

"I'm sure Nigel will be here any minute to tell you how bad they are"
lol.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to find a programmer that could work with the MPLAB IDE software from Microchip, as it is current and has a C compiler. That may be why I missed the JDM one.

The end product of this project is going to be a user-programmable E-trigger for a paint ball marker. I am dissapointed with the quality of the Tippmann E-Trigger and upgrade boards are close to $100! If anyone is interested I will toss in the schematics for the finished design. Just PM me. I am in my senior year for Electrical Engineering so I will not finish this for at least 3 months.

Due to size limitations and only a few outputs and inputs needed (2 input pins, 2 output pins) and the fact that I will be doing mostly timing operations (in millisecond scale) I will try to use the 8-bit PIC's. I could do the project with the Arduino boards, but those require an external clock and are kinda overkill for the project. Would be a lot easier though, as I know how to program for those.

Last edited:
I did an electronic paintball marker control board a long time ago, for my 'spydercocker':
http://www.eegeek.net/paintball/spydercocker/
Never got around to really properly finishing it, or documenting the board, but if you're interested perhaps I can dig something up.

As far as MPLAB compatibility goes, well, you're quite limited there. If MPLAB compatibility is really important to you then you should see if your department at school has any microchip-branded programmers you could borrow (my department had a bunch), or else look into building or buying an ICD2 clone. The microchip PICKit2 is another possibility (they're like $35 I think) but I haven't heard the best things about them.

I have been looking at the ICD2. Looks like it will do the trick. Unless those limitations rear their head. I will search the forums for posts about them.

Thanks for the info man. Looks like a cool project. I will let you know what happens with mine. I plan on making user settable options similar to the Tippmann W.A.S. board, but without that annoying full-auto defect they have with many of their boards.

anyone have any issues with this one?

**broken link removed**

I am having problems searching the forums for ICD2 limitations because there are so many posts about ICD2's.

Last edited:
Ambient said:
anyone have any issues with this one?

**broken link removed**

I am having problems searching the forums for ICD2 limitations because there are so many posts about ICD2's.

Why are you searching for ICD2 limitations? JDM's have limitations, PICKit2's seem to have some issues, but as for ICD2's, if anything they're the best bet!

There's a forum member here who sells serial ICD2's over at **broken link removed**

If you want a USB model and don't mind building one, try icd2clone.com for designs, or if you'd rather buy one check out ebay where chinese-made icd2 clones are usually all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back