Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The best op-amp IC chip for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like pretty well everything, there is no 'best' one, most tend to be 'better' for some particular purpose or specification.

However, the Texas TL0xx series are popular and versatile, and available as single, dual or quad. The TL072 dual is my usual 'go to' opamp.

The TL072 dual is my usual 'go to' opamp.
same here..... i've built countless audio gadgets using them... perfect device for a beginner too...

The advantage of the TL071/072/074 is that it has decent specifications, yet it is manufactured by everybody and everywhere.

Translation: it is both ubiquitous and low cost.

And cheap even if bought from reliable sources.

I know that little good things are said about the old 741 opamp, but for the purpose of learning or testing out for yourself the theory of opamps, it's limitations may provide some learning skills when testing circuits with different opamps. I know I did this when I first learned about opamps in school many years back.

Grossel's footer reads: ""To just put one feet in front of the other to move forward was never enough, so I stumbled into my car and drove away. . ."

Love this tag line; but it should be 'foot' not 'feet'.

Contrast 'ein Fuß' with 'viele Füße'.

little good things are said about the old 741 opamp,
actually it would probably be better learning with an op amp that doesn't have so many flaws first, then use a 741 to learn about the effects of high input bias and offset currents, etc... most textbooks begin with op amp theory, meaning it assumes at least a "near ideal" op amp model in the circuits presented, so a TL072 would be pretty close to that goal. then when you get to chapters that covers "non-ideal" op amps, work in the 741 as a demonstrator of input bias current, input offset currents, low bandwidth, mediocre open loop gain, high noise, etc...

I know that little good things are said about the old 741 opamp, but for the purpose of learning or testing out for yourself the theory of opamps, it's limitations may provide some learning skills when testing circuits with different opamps. I know I did this when I first learned about opamps in school many years back.
After dealing with first generation IC opamps like the 709, the 741 was a gift from heaven.

It was internally compensated for all gains, was short circuit proof, and it would not suffer a phase reversal if the input CM range was exceeded.
The DC specs, without being excellent were quite decent for the time and it offered offset nulling pins if you required an improvement.
It was also one of the first in a PDIP package, meaning lower cost.

While the initial question has raised an interesting line of discussion, I am firmly of the belief that the OP is involved in the sale of "processed meat products".

JimB

I am firmly of the belief that the OP is involved in the sale of "processed meat products".
Isn't "chips" actually made of potatoes ?

My go-to op-amp is the LM324. I know audio people hate it but I'm not an audio person. Being a quad package is a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back