Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner seeks assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny7

Greetings,
After a long period of lurking (and learning by assimilation) I have a concrete question on a trivial matter.
While going through an estate, I found this NOS Radio Shack (Micronta) digital car clock from about 1980 -- it was a state of the art gadget at the time!
My car is just new enough to not need such a device, but in trying to get it to work (no manual) I realized that I had no sure way to tell how to wire it up.
I can guess that the black (fused) wire is ground and the red is power. But there are two more.
Assuming one goes to ignition (?) what is last one for?
I have a 12VDC wall wart, but didn't just want to hook it up and possibly fry it.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• DSCN8877.JPG
    DSCN8877.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 199
  • DSCN8879.JPG
    DSCN8879.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 200
I would guess that the forth wire is to do with headlights. The display illumination will be less at night.

Mike.

Second half of this video:

If you can't make it out, contact the video author.

You won't get the tach to work on a modern car and trying to do so could damage the car.

[another] Mike

I would guess that the forth wire is to do with headlights. The display illumination will be less at night.

Mike.
Appreciate the response Mike.
However I suspect that's what the little white circular window is for -- a sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back