Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

photodetector

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspoojak

hey, i ve been working on the photodetection property of LDR.
i need to know which one of the 3 photodetectors s better for the detection of red light. right now i'm using an LDR. i need to convert the output to frequency. how do i do it?? or is it better tht i use a phototransistor and use v-f converter.

Break it down to three questions:

What detector is sensitive to red light?

How do I make a circuit so the detector makes a voltage proportional to illumination?

How do I convert voltage to frequency?

Last edited:
CdS cells (photoresistors) have a peak sensitivity at the green wavelength, but are quite useable to detect red light.

Silicon photodectors (photdiodes or transistors) have a peak sensitivity at the infrared wavelengths, but are alse quite useable at red.

So your first order of businnes is to get a good optical red filter to place in front of your detector.

Now, if you want to go the easy route, Avago Techonologies has a broad range of light sensors with the output properly conditioned:

Avago's Ambient Light Sensors

hey fernando_g
i understand the importance of optical filters.i need help on selecting the detector. or is it better if i use a light to freq converter?

I found something better, it already has the RGB filters built in, and also provides an output frequency.

See the AXE045 color sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back