Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phone activated blue light (240v).

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodman

Hey guys, to say im new to this is an understatement. I can wire a plug and possibly a car stereo, but have never done anything more technical than that.

Im looking to some how get it,so when the phone rings, its sets a blue police light spinning untill the call is answered.

Sorry to be so vague, i dont know the correct terminology to use. I work in a very very noisy workshop and probably miss 2-3 phone calls a day due to not hearing the phone ring. This is my last attempt at being able to make/find something to do the job. I've previously bought the loud metal bell, but this still isnt loud enough. The only other thing that resembles what im after is a tiny strobe light that flash's when theres an incoming call - i dont think this would be visible enough.

I have taken an old phone apart and found 2 wires that go to the speaker. Could i somehow put a relay onto this enabling the blue spinning light to flash once a call is received?

Any help/advice would be greatly greatly appreciated, or if anyone would be willing to make something that would do the job (for a price of course) it may very well save me being electrocuted attempting it :D

Joking aside, if it is just a case of buying the correct relay and attaching the wires in the right way, with your expertise, im confident i could give it a go

Thanks for your time, i look forward to hearing your thoughts/suggestions. Simon

Last edited:
Where are you? Different phone systems use different ringing. I can tell you how to do this in the US or Canada.

Im in the u.k. Its good to know its possible to do then, even if it is in the us/canada. Would it still work on the same principle with the u.k system?

Read this. You have a POTS, right?

Would i be able to put a voltmeter on the wires to see if there is a voltage when it rings? if i remember right there only 4 wires coming in. best explained here i think- **broken link removed**
Thanks for your time MikeM1

Yes it is POTS but we use a different voltage to our American friends.

BT provded landlines work on 50v.
Non BT providers use 37v.

Will this work for you?

Last edited:
it looks very interesting! So just to confirm, if i plug in the 12v jack, it then enables me to turn on anything 240v? where does the 240v bit plug in? thanks for the info MikeMl. I think you may have found the answer. Where can u buy this ?;)

Last edited:
Looking in more detail, it appears it will switch a maxium of 24volts. That will be fine. I'll try finding a 12 volt version (like mounted on vehicles, suppose amber one would be just as effective)

Looks like my last problem may be trying to buy one. Looking on the website, it doesnt appear to show anywhere to actually buy the kit.

Thanks to everyone who's helped with this, especially MikeMl whos got me looking in the right place

He he, think i've just found somewhere that sells the kit already assembled, and its in the u.k!!!! MikeMl- A legend ;)

Hi woodman,

How about wireless alert?!!

If you're patient to apply some work here, I can you tell this can be solved nicely by a set of RF modules like VG40T/40R.

1. Sense the phone ring using either a magnetic catch or any kind of coupling and get a signal.
2. Amplify it and feed to a switching transistorized circuit to activate VG40T(Tx).
3. Receive the signal through VG40R and activate a dc motor vibrator through a driver transistor. Place the receiver unit in your pocket like a mobile phone. Thats all :)

Receiver module should work on 3V. So a 3V rated motor and 2xAA cells should make your alert box pretty done!

Im not sure whether i'd feel it vibrating or not. Theres more than one person in the workshop, so wouldnt really be ideal giving everybody one. Good idea though! A visable alert is definately the best solution so far

Hi woodman,

How about wireless alert?!!

If you're patient to apply some work here, I can you tell this can be solved nicely by a set of RF modules like VG40T/40R.

1. Sense the phone ring using either a magnetic catch or any kind of coupling and get a signal.
2. Amplify it and feed to a switching transistorized circuit to activate VG40T(Tx).
3. Receive the signal through VG40R and activate a dc motor vibrator through a driver transistor. Place the receiver unit in your pocket like a mobile phone. Thats all :)

Receiver module should work on 3V. So a 3V rated motor and 2xAA cells should make your alert box pretty done!

Sounds interesting might have a go at this myself...i am deaf.

But seriously I think the velleman unit preasssembled would be better for woodman.

Hi,
Now I wonder how noisy is the environment:eek:

That may require a bit time and experiment to work, especially for you. So better hang on the visible alert itself and let us know how it goes.

BTW, output vibrator is just a suggestion only. The idea can be extended by a stun gun even:D

Its very noisy, plus when im stood at the machines i can feel the floor vibrating. Had to buy a sony mbw150 watch to remedy what i thought was my mobile phone vibrating all the time.

I've also got radio ear muffs, which....i....er......um... probably have playing a little loud perhaps :rolleyes: sometimes/most times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back