Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Diptrace and asked for the free upgrade to 500 pins.
very nice easy program to design circuit boards for the hobbyist. A professional such as Jon uses Eagle.
As for having boards made, I have used several different board houses and Elecrow is far and away the best choice IMO.
Just export your Diptrace Gerber files and the n/c drill file. compress and send to board house.
Diptrace isn't perfect as it has some small work around querks. Example,making a new component w/ footprint, you save the component then close the program then reopen it.

Superdat - If you ask DIPtrace very nicely (assure them it's for personal use only - it is for me) they'll upgrade you to 500 pins. That does not include vias so have any number of them. Personally I hate vias and try to do without, so have set the prog not to use them. My only complaint with DIPtrace is that I can't seem to force a s/s board... maybe there's something I'm missing. Anyhow, I can make it s/s easily enough. Have now added lots of components with their respective patterns, so am really pleased with it. Like I said before, I'm used to AutoCAD so I get on well with it.

MrDEB - sorry I replied before I saw your post.

Last edited:
Hi Mr Deb and Aardvark,
I might try for the free 500, although I've only run out of holes once. The bit I didn't find intuitive was libraries.
I ususally know what I'm trying to make so I don't bother with a schematic, I just go straight to PCB layout. I usually make my own patterns, it's often quicker than trying to find them (if they exist) in the supplied or downloaded libraries. I either make them directly in the PCB layout, then copy to a library or use Pattern Editor.
Aardvark, when you say you can't force a s/s board, are you refering to the PCB layout? The default is always d/s but unless you select the other side it will remain on one side i.e. s/s.
The exception is SMD components which by default go on the copper side as they should.
Vias are useful for linking up to the other side of a d/s board. If you use through holes with d/s, when you print out the other side, you can leave out the pins (e.g. a MicroP) on the side that the IC is mounted. Same apples to any top mounted through hole components. The vias remain on both sides.
I make my own boards using toner transfer, I can't get them as small as professional ones but fine for me :) 1mm is about the smallest trace I attempt.
I don't do much smd stuff, voltage regs, 1206 caps and resistors, anything smaller I can't see let alone solder!

I've just figured out how to force s/s.
Route>Autorouter Setup>Settings>layer section lower down
Choose either Top or Bottom and set Priority to "Off"
upload_2017-3-7_14-48-50.png

One day I will have to use vias I'm sure hehe.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-7_14-48-1.png
    upload_2017-3-7_14-48-1.png
    47 KB · Views: 244
Just received my DipTrace upgrade to 500, thanks for letting me know.
Just need to think of something big now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back