Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB from China? Coronavirus info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Table 1 provided by gophert, I thought at first that it was the answer to the age old question
"What have the Romans ever done for us?"

As for Ian Roger suggestion of licking the parcel clean,
I cannot help but think that the greatest danger with that activity would be the postal worker with a bad case of diarrhoea who had handled the package after failing to wash his hands correctly.

Of course, if after all this jocularity you are still worried about catching a dose of something nasty from the package,
you could always immerse it in boiling water for ten minutes to sterilise it.

JimB

On TV they showed drones in China spraying some nasty stuff. They did not say if it was to kill the virus or to kill the people who are infected.
Some drones used a loudspeaker to warn people to put on a mask (that is not available) or else!

i saw today that the coronavirus is primarily transmitted via the digestive tract, and is not airborne. since flies and feces go together this is likely how it spread through an open-air food market, since flies also like to land on food... it could also have a lot to do with poor sanitation in crowded cities

I think I’m gonna spray Lysol disinfectant on the package, when it arrives, just as a precaution.

eT

LOl I have 10 boards that was shipped I missed where the usb ran so i have to do them over lol

My boards arrived this morning from jlcpcb.com.
After licking the package and each board, I definitely needed a glass of water.

The boards look great - just as designed. Taste? They needed more salt.

Rebuilding the electronics on a pair of Nike "Mags" for permanent display on a shelf (bypassing the battery.

F6EE7E77-0C70-431A-A1DB-D72A5B1B51BA.jpeg

The 'virus' table was a bit of an eye opener, (thanks gophert) and for most of the population would be a bit of a shock.. It really highlights the importance of washing your hands. But there again its possible to become OCD about there sorts of things. I wonder how many people use the sanitizers in doctors surgeries and hospitals,
One observation , door handles way back were mainly made of brass, a copper alloy and copper is deadly to most virus .. Personally I am cautious about supermarket trolleys , some are filthy and are never washed, so out comes the antiseptic wipes .... And I am expecting a parcel from China any day... Mmm

my PCBs were ordered 3rd week January.
Production didn’t start till a week later.
Just got notice today from DHL delivery next week.

eT

Personally I am cautious about supermarket trolleys

Those are also dangerous I n other ways. Note the "big box stores" where you can buy everything from lawn & garden to groceries. Imagine setting your child in the kiddy carrier part of the trolley when the previous customer used the kiddy carrier to place his bag of fresh chicken with the leaking liquid - or the bag of pesticide or herbicide for his lawn (a dusty bag because one of the packages in the shipment tore open and spilled into the truck/warehouse and dusted everything else.

Healthy child? Good luck. Bring your own stroller.

Those are also dangerous I n other ways. Note the "big box stores" where you can buy everything from lawn & garden to groceries. Imagine setting your child in the kiddy carrier part of the trolley when the previous customer used the kiddy carrier to place his bag of fresh chicken with the leaking liquid - or the bag of pesticide or herbicide for his lawn (a dusty bag because one of the packages in the shipment tore open and spilled into the truck/warehouse and dusted everything else.

Healthy child? Good luck. Bring your own stroller.
If we don't catch the bugs our immune system would be rubbish.... Its the trouble with kids today!!! I used to eat dirt and worms and allsorts when I was a kid... If you don't build up an immunity then you'll have to put a stupid mask and whinge about bugs that'll kill you. Nanny state... mums panicking over the slightest thing.. I despair!!!

The thing I find dangerous is the trend today for parents to refuse their kids getting immunized, which has up to now resulted in eliminating the effects of many infectious deaseases today.
Injections of patient usually introduce a mild form of the virus, allowing the body to create immunity.
Max.

I agree that we need to build up immunity and vaccinations are very important.

The thing I find dangerous is the trend today for parents to refuse their kids getting immunized, which has up to now resulted in eliminating the effects of many infectious deaseases today.

Unfortunately there a small number of stupid parents who seem to believe the rubbish that idiots post on-line, and so refuse to have their children vaccinated.

To be fair, we didn't let our daughter have the Whooping Cough vaccination, as I have a cousin who is mentally retarded because of it - we did discuss it with our doctor, who was unable to give us any comparative figures about it. She could tell us the odds of been brain damaged by it (quite low), but couldn't give us any clue what the odds of catching it were, or the odds of it causing any problems - so we took the decision not to have it done.

Injections of patient usually introduce a mild form of the virus, allowing the body to create immunity.
Max.

There was a UK TV program the other year, about a British scientist at Oxford University who was doing serious research, much of it at the Neutron Source (where my daughter used to go to run experiments during her Phd). Apparently a virus consists of an outer passive shell, with the dangerous part inside, and vaccines work by creating antibodies that match the shape of the outer shell.

So what he was able to do was create an empty shell of the correct shape and size using nano-technology, and use that as the vaccination - your body creates the correct anti-bodies to match it, providing protection against the real virus, with absolutely zero side effects or risk (as there's no actual virus there).

It was hypothesised that in the 'not too distant' future vaccines would be able to be rapidly and efficiently created in this way - currently it takes about 9 months to create a vaccine (which is why flu vaccines are just a guess based on the previous years flu) - with around two weeks been the suggested turn round time.

Be nice if was available now, as there could have been a vaccine for the corona virus already.

a British scientist at Oxford University who was doing serious research, much of it at the Neutron Source (where my daughter used to go to run experiments during her Phd). Apparently a virus consists of an outer passive shell, with the dangerous part inside, and vaccines work by creating antibodies that match the shape of the outer shell.
I served my apprenticeship in my home town of Oxford, we got to work in some very interesting laboratories.!
School of Human Anatomy was one that was a little eerie!
I probably rubbed shoulders with a few that I subsequently read up on and looked up to!:cool:
Max.

Last edited:
I did my apprenticeship in my home town of Oxford, we got to work in some very interesting laboratories.!
School of Human Anatomy was one that was a little eerie!
I probably rubbed shoulders with a few that I subsequently read up on and looked up to!:cool:
Max.

I was on Facebook one Thursday morning (my day off) and I noticed by daughter was marked as on-line, so I contacted her as she was supposed to be hard at work on her Phd. Turned out she was at the Neutron Source, running an experiment - basically you stick your sample in a chamber, press GO, and take it out after a day or so (when it's slightly radioactive) - she sent me the link to the machine running her experiment, can't say I really understood it, but it was taking a LOT of power bombarding her sample with neutrons. That's how you get a funded Phd, as a Phd student it's free to run an experiment, but for her sponsor to run an experiment it's £12,000 a day - so they fund Phd's and get the students to run the experiments for them :D

Anyway, we got talking on Skype so she left the office with her laptop and showed me round a little with it's camera - it was like a James Bond set, but far more complicated and impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back