Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB from China? Coronavirus info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How lately, i.e when did they pick up from the factory? In my case they've not picked up in two weeks.

As I said above, mine arrived 10th Feb, but they were a little slow been picked up once they were ready - perhaps things have gotten worse since then?.

Have you tried contacting them?.

Must admit, I'm happy I'm not currently in the process of ordering any boards - not for any imagined virus reasons, but for the potential slow delivery times.

They said DHL were picking up at the weekend but it didn't happen. I've no idea if any service is picking up but I'm changing it to standard Registered Post as a trial. They're trying hard not to make the change but that's probably as they make a bit on the DHL option.

Mind, nothing is moving on aliexpress either. Anyone running their business on JIT must be in trouble!

Last edited:
We know China is extra ordinary but
It is strenge why China government do not ban to those manufacturer who make Lithium ion cell with full of sand inside, portable harddisk with USB Disk inside, fake expensive obsolete components!

They said DHL were picking up at the weekend but it didn't happen. I've no idea if any service is picking up but I'm changing it to standard Registered Post as a trial. They're trying hard not to make the change but that's probably as they make a bit on the DHL option.

Mind, nothing is moving on aliexpress either. Anyone running their business on JIT must be in trouble!

Well my boards, and various others parts from China, are for business - and we've got a few items we're still waiting for - mostly though it's not DHL (other than JLCPCB) so we don't really get accurate tracking, or fast delivery.

Most recent was a dhl pick up from shenzhen on the 22nd and was delivered today.

Well my boards, and various others parts from China, are for business - and we've got a few items we're still waiting for.
Same here. I have received quite a bit lately but I still have some supplies out as well that I'm loosing faith in making it out.

My boards were complete on the 5th Feb, DHL shipping. Still awaiting pickup. I've also ordered about twenty items on aliexpress from various sellers over the past week and a half and not one has dispatched. From my view all trade with China has stopped. :confused:

It's highly unlikely that all trade has stopped, but it's certainly going to be hit and miss for a while.

According the Canada Post tracking, my PCBs have now arrived in Canada and I should have them by Tuesday or Wednesday.

According the Canada Post tracking, my PCBs have now arrived in Canada and I should have them by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Congratulations - mine almost always arrive from DHL the day before the suggested delivery date, I presume they 'stick a day on' just in case of any issues.

Oh, one question, do you get any import duties or taxes slapped on your boards?, in the UK we get stung for VAT (20%) plus about £10 for collecting the money, if the order is above a certain amount (about £20 odd). Usually fine for the 'prototype offer', but when we order small production quantities (100+) we obviously get charged for it.

Oh, one question, do you get any import duties or taxes slapped on your boards?,
They don't charge any duty or taxes if the value is below $20 Cdn. Most of my international purchases are below the threshold. And it seems to me that I've had things come in that were a bit over $20, and they still didn't bother to collect anything. If they do charge anything it's usually just taxes and not duty. There's a 5% federal Goods and Services Tax (GST), plus provincial sales tax (PST) that varies from province to province. Where I live, the PST is 6% for a total of 11%. In many cases the post office collects only the federal tax. The post office is the best delivery service in this regard, because they only charge (last time I checked) a handling fee of $4.50 if they have to collect any taxes or duties, and no fee if they don't have to collect any taxes or duties. So, in most cases my package arrives at my door with nothing for me to pay.

Some of the shipping companies were charging outrageous "brokerage" fees that could end up doubling the cost of the item. "Pay us our brokerage fee, or we won't give you your package." UPS was one of the worst in this regard. I have no idea what UPS does these days, because I won't deal with them.

Last edited:
They don't charge any duty or taxes if the value is below $20 Cdn. Most of my international purchases are below the threshold. And it seems to me that I've had things come in that were a bit over $20, and they still didn't bother to collect anything. If they do charge anything it's usually just taxes and not duty. There's a 5% federal Goods and Services Tax (GST), plus provincial sales tax (PST) that varies from province to province. Where I live, the PST is 6% for a total of 11%. In many cases the post office collects only the federal tax. The post office the best delivery service in this regard, because they only charge (last time I checked) a handling fee of $4.50 if they have to collect any taxes or duties, and no fee if they don't have to collect any taxes or duties. So, in most cases my package arrives at my door with nothing for me to pay.

Some of the shipping companies were charging outrageous "brokerage" fees that could end up doubling the cost of the item. "Pay us our brokerage fee, or we won't give you your package." UPS was one of the worst in this regard. I have no idea what UPS does these days, because I won't deal with them.

Much like the UK, but a lower % of duty - never heard of brokerage fees here though. We send parcels via DPD Local, and if we have the option most come via Parcelforce or DHL. DHL are by far the best, excellent tracking and nice and fast.

The brokerage fee scam was invented by UPS, bringing packages to Canada from the US. Then other companies like Fedex got in on it too. A lot of Ebay buyers got caught by this. I've always been careful when buying things from the US on Ebay to make sure that they ship by post. I agree that DHL is good, but I've never seen DHL as a shipping option between US and Canada.

The brokerage fee scam was invented by UPS, bringing packages to Canada from the US. Then other companies like Fedex got in on it too. A lot of Ebay buyers got caught by this. I've always been careful when buying things from the US on Ebay to make sure that they ship by post. I agree that DHL is good, but I've never seen DHL as a shipping option between US and Canada.

No idea on the Canada situation, but I've never been impressed with UPS here either :D

Mine are arriving.

My problem with DHL is they're starting to automate the collection of fees based on the value going directly into their system. It's a nice little earner for them, they collect the fat fee without having to employ any labor to do the assessment. My last three DHL purchases from JLC generated customs fee request emails about 30 mins after the PCB's were readied for pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back