Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtumulak

Does anyone knows how to turn on a removed PC power supply. I need to use it externally. I guess there is a some sort of a feedback signal...... I don't know how and where.... pls help

ATX or AT power supply?

Remeber a PC power supply must have a minimum load or refuses to function

I have a brand new COMPAQ DL360 power supply but the articles on the web only tells you about the normal standard supplies. Obviously Compaq likes to be different :lol: Anyone that can tell me which wires are the feedback wires or how can I test for that?

In a compaq power supply the ground wires will probably still be black (I hope).

There will be two wires in a compaq power supply with a positive voltage in respect to those ground wires when it is off, the standby 5v supply for soft power functions on the motherboard and the PS_ON wire which you want to ground. So basically, find these two wires, connect one of them to ground. If it doesn't work, connect the other one to ground. Since all ATX power supplies should have short circuit protection there isn't any realy danger in shorting the standby line, though you should flip the switch off and back on in the back of the power supply if the first wire didnt' work.

Hi Friends,

I also have a problem with my power supply. My PC has a ATX 145W, Compaq. Recently it has given away. The fuse blows out when switched on. I know replacing the fuse does not help.I do not have experience in switchmode supplies and therefore appreciate if anyone tells me where to start. What components should I check first?

Thanks in advance.

resisors with high values (Mohms, 100's Kohms) ... they are ofthen the first to die in switched power supplies...

check the main switching transistor (should be a big transitor on a cooling plate somewhere) ... beware when measuring, somtimes they use a FET.

there should be a feedback circuit (feedback from secondairy to primairy side) with an optocoupler... check the components in this circuit

Hi there,

The grey wire was the PS-ON wire on the Compaq PSU. The PSU is humming away now in my workshop. Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back