Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pc power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLPilot

Can anyone describe to me how to make a pc power supply work without having to connecte it to a motherboard? Is it just a matter of crossing some wires to make a connection? Or is this something more complex?

Just make a shortcut between PS-ON and GND, but keep in mind: for proper work need a minimum load on +5V output (about 0.5..1A).

Attachments

• pcpwr2a.gif
    pcpwr2a.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 663
I looked at my power supply and it has a connection with the following pinout:

1. Power Good * Orange
2. +5Vdc Red
3. +12Vdc Yellow
4. -12Vdc Blue
5. Ground Black
6. Ground Black

7. Ground Black
8. Ground Black
9. -5Vdc White
10. +5Vdc Red
11. +5Vdc Red
12. +5Vdc Red

so what would I short? #1 ???

You are using an old AT PSU. AT PSUs are activated via AC switches. Don't fool around with AC if you are not famliar with them.

At old AT power supply doesn't need a switching signal, it comes on as soon as you apply power. As with the ATX one, you should have a permanent load on the 5V rail for it to work properly.

go to radio shack, and grab yourself a 10 ohm 10 watt power resistor. Stick that across the 5v line and you will be all set. I have been using an AT power supply as my benchtop supply for years now that way.

samcheetah said:
what does the +5VSB (purple) wire do???

does it just supply normal 5V like the red wires do? if yes, then why is it different from the red wires?

If I recall, +5VSB is 5V stand-by which can be used for lower power circuits in the event that 5V is not ramped up yet, or short circuit fault.
It cannot source as much as main +5V, I think of order of 100mA or so..

Yes, this is a standby +5V for a section of motherboard. The ATX types contains two independent PSU, one for standby (always work when plugged in), and the main PSU. So possible wake-up the PC via LAN-card, from kbd,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back