Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Fan Setup Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedudex2

Hows it going? I am wanting to get a opinion on wiring three PC Fans not into a PC. I am looking at my options to wire them for a nifty project I am undergoing. They are different in what the stickers tell me so here goes:

Gold Sticker Fan: DC 12V 0.14A
Silver Sticker Fan: DC 12V 1.34A
NMB Sticker Fan: 12V ΞΞΞDC 1.34A

I know it is better to have three of the same kind but I was doing some recycling and just pulled them off old PCs. These fan work fine alone on a 9v. Any suggestions on wiring?

I don't understand your question. What wiring info do you need? You say the work fine from 9v. I don't understand where the problem is.

Parallel is the only option unless you have a dedicated fan controller for each fan.

Powering it is gonna be alote of trial and error. 36Volts to power. Because I am cheapy think I am gonna daisy chain four 9volt batteries and hook that up to the PC fans that will be wired parallel. This sound good enough for now? If there is another option Im all ears.

Parallel them means to connect all the positive leads together, and connect all the ground leads together. The supply would still be 12V and the current adds, so approx. 2.82 amps. You wouldn't want to hook them up in series.

Do not use 9 volt batteries, 9 volt batteries are a horrible waste of money for anything other than a fire detector. Their energy density is HORRIBLE. Sure it'll run fine off 9 volts, for a couple minutes tops. Also when the 9 volts are drained a decent amount they won't have enough voltage to start the fans. It would make FAR more sense to make an 8 cell battery pack that uses AA's or if you need more run time use C or D sized cells.

I agree with Sceadwian, 9 volts are actually 6 small batteries in series which will give a high voltage (9v) but a low amperage and a shorter life too.

Actually, you could use two 6volt lantern batteries-which supply a larger current-in series.:)

Lantern batteries aren't much better, the last one's I saw were 'super heavy duty' meaning carbon cells, pretty much means they're crap.
Until thedude mentions his needed run time there's no way to suggest a proper battery, but a 9 volt battery is NOT going to be it.

Gold Sticker Fan: DC 12V 0.14A
Silver Sticker Fan: DC 12V 1.34A
NMB Sticker Fan: 12V ΞΞΞDC 1.34A

OK, let's do the math. 0.14 + 1.34 + 1.34 = 2.82 Amps. A simple 9 volt battery will be very, very, very short lived. Look up the current capacity of a 9 volt basic battery.

The first fan seems normal for a basic 80 or 120 mm PC fan as to current. The fans that draw 1.34 amps don't seem normal at all, you sure about the current? The second two fans draw 9 times what the first fan draws?

Your best bet as to a battery is a good 12 volt lead acid or gel cell. Maybe a 12 volt 7 AH battery. Based on your numbers that would give you a little over 2 hours run time.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back