Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PBPluse "Warning" problem!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodin

When i am compiling my code this text comes upp:

PROGRAM COMPILED OK. 7959 Words used
114 Variables used in the 16F876A from a possible 368
Warning! Code will overwrite bootloader routine at top of program area.
THERE ARE WARNINGS!

What does this mean?

The problem occured when i am adding this line:
Milli = Milli - (Minute * 0.333)

Where Milli is a float and minute is a byte.

But it doesn't seems like there is something wrong with that line. Because when i delete another line it works ok!

Strange, seems like there is a memmory problem. But i havent used all the code space yet! only 7959 of 8000 something!

I believe there may be a memory problem. There is 8k available in the 876 and I think the bootloader takes a part of it leaving less than 8k for user code.

brodin said:
When i am compiling my code this text comes upp:

PROGRAM COMPILED OK. 7959 Words used
114 Variables used in the 16F876A from a possible 368
Warning! Code will overwrite bootloader routine at top of program area.
THERE ARE WARNINGS!

What does this mean?

The problem occured when i am adding this line:
Milli = Milli - (Minute * 0.333)

Where Milli is a float and minute is a byte.

But it doesn't seems like there is something wrong with that line. Because when i delete another line it works ok!

Strange, seems like there is a memmory problem. But i havent used all the code space yet! only 7959 of 8000 something!

Indeed, Seems like your using a bootloader. Wich is normally programmed into the pic near the end of program memory. Bootloaders for 16F devices normally take up something in the range of 256words

Okey, but do i need the bootloader. Do i need that when i am using a ICSP programmer? Or what it is there for?

brodin said:
Okey, but do i need the bootloader. Do i need that when i am using a ICSP programmer? Or what it is there for?

The compiler obviously knows about the bootloader, or it wouldn't be giving you a warning about it.

A bootloader allows you to program the PIC via a simple serial lead, no programmer needed - except to load the bootloader code in the first place.

You must have a seriously long program to be using that much memory space, 8K of PIC code is a BIG program.

Yes, it is a really big program. It contains a lot of text (LCD data) which takes up a lot of space. And i am using float point routines. The program so far has got about 900 lines.

The circuit has got a 2K EEPROM. I have thougt about putting the text there because i don't use the whole eeprom for other data storage. Or maybe in the internal EEPROM.

So i can skip the BOOTLOADER if i don't use the simple programming?
It doesn't affect any other functions, right?

brodin said:
Yes, it is a really big program. It contains a lot of text (LCD data) which takes up a lot of space. And i am using float point routines. The program so far has got about 900 lines.

The circuit has got a 2K EEPROM. I have thougt about putting the text there because i don't use the whole eeprom for other data storage. Or maybe in the internal EEPROM.

So i can skip the BOOTLOADER if i don't use the simple programming?
It doesn't affect any other functions, right?

If you're using a normal, external pic programmer then there is no need for the bootloader. Bootloading is used for self-programming. You'll probabely need to change some settings on your compiler to tell it you won't be using the bootloader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back