Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PAL to JPEG???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris P

Hello again....

I need to take a PAL signal, sample it at regular intervals (about every 2 seconds) and compress it to a JPEG image ready to be stored on a compact flash card.

I have found lots of info on the compact flash interface and this shouldnt be a prob. Also found lots on the FAT16 file structure. However, how do i compress the PAL signal. This is only a small part of my project so I'd like the easiest route please. :)

Im using a PIC 16F777 for the compact flash interface. It has a 10-Bit A/D and clocks at 20MHz. Would this be fast enough to do it in software (Its a black and white sensor) does anyone know where I could find a code for this as I have a pressing time deadline...

Or is there a chip so I can do this in hardware? If so how would I get hold of one?

Any help at all would be more than welcome...

Cheers Chris

JPEG

It's been years since I used Zoran codecs, but their technical support was pretty good. You might have a look at this:

**broken link removed**

Although I'm a great PIC lover, this isn't a job for one :cry:

You need to sample the signal very fast (far, far greater than a PIC can do), and need a fair amount of memory to do it in (which a 14 bit PIC hasn't got). Mpeg compression routines are also large and slow, I don't thing a PIC could do it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back