Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

over-load indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgetwo

hi
I was working on an inverter then i had an idear of including an overload indicator.
I am using a 12v 60ah battery, 1000W, 220v inverter
How do i go about that ?

I made it myself for converting of 12v dc to 220v ac and it is working already. I need an over-load indicator to tell me when the connected appliance are too mush. In other words, when the applied load is causing alot of voltage drop to the battery, the inverter will indicate with an led. this function shuld be different from low battery indicator.
any help?

this is certainly not the answer that you are looking for , but with a 720 W power input ( 12V * 60 A ) you can't get 1000 W on the output of your inverter .
Anyway you can certainly do what you want with a comparator to compare the voltage drop between two points in the main conductor that links the battery to the inverter .
If there's around 50 or 60 A flooding out of your battery, I think you won't need a shunt resistor to detect the voltage drop, there will certainly be a voltage drop across the main conductor .
When the current exceeds a certain limit, the voltage drop across this conductor could be used with a rail-to-rail comparator to generate a high level .
This output could light a led through a resistor.

this is certainly not the answer that you are looking for , but with a 720 W power input ( 12V * 60 A ) you can't get 1000 W on the output of your inverter.
The battery is 60Ah. It can supply the 100A for a few minutes. Its voltage might be only 10V (or less) when its current is 100A.
When it begins to boil then it is overloaded.

Ok, maybe I've been influenced by goergetwo's reputation :)
Sorry for the first part of my reply
Bye,
Cédric

I made it myself for converting of 12v dc to 220v ac and it is working already. I need an over-load indicator to tell me when the connected appliance are too mush.

Isn't that more or less what a fuse is for? :D I assume that your response to seeing the overload indicator will be to reduce the load, so why not just use a fuse or circuit breaker and avoid overloading the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back