Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gica69

I already have an antik BK1470 with 10MHZ but I never used it to see if it works. Want to dabble in a hobbyist electronic repairs of marine amps, some audio amps and so forth. What is the cheapest solution for me? Can I buy a handheld one?
I know there are a lot of options between 275 and 399 for 100 MHZ. I don't think I want to jump to at yet. Should a get a digital or old analog would suffice? Thanks in advance

Why not just use what you've got?, try it and see if it works - it's pretty rare to need a 100MHz scope (despite what people here seem to want), and a 10MHz scope is all you need for audio work anyway.

I have several... 100Mhz... 40Mhz... but the one I use the most is the little DSO 202... A 1Mhz but dead easy to use.. The size of a phone and the battery last forever!!! My only issue is I bought a single trace model and I wish I had bought a dual or quad.. As Nigel said, No need for mega speed..

The only reason I even use the big one is the massive digital storage is a bit of a boon...

Thanks for the replies. So I am very amateurish at electronic repair but I like it. I have way too many hobbies and usually end up spending money on equipment that is more than I need.
So for the repairs of home equipment electeonics whatever they might be to see wave form at different voltage I noticed the heartz are not anywhere close to 1mhz usually in the khz or lower. So what is the 100mhz used for? Is it industrial stuff AC measuring circuits?
So a bench oscilloscope would be overkill and a portable one can do the job?

I made an offer for a NEW Hantek DSO5072P of $150 and won it this thing is listed @ 70MHz and can be software enabled(hacked) to 200MHz. I think it's a decent entry level unit and I've heard that the only weakness would be the cheap capacitors that if replaced with good ones it's a great machine. So that's that. It's funny that when I offered I was sure it would be turned down.

Thanks for the replies. So I am very amateurish at electronic repair but I like it. I have way too many hobbies and usually end up spending money on equipment that is more than I need.
So for the repairs of home equipment electeonics whatever they might be to see wave form at different voltage I noticed the heartz are not anywhere close to 1mhz usually in the khz or lower. So what is the 100mhz used for? Is it industrial stuff AC measuring circuits?
So a bench oscilloscope would be overkill and a portable one can do the job?

A bench osccilloscope is usually far more useful, and high frequency is handy to have for the very occasional time you might need it (which is mostly pretty rare). Likewise, a small portable scope comes in very handy when you need something small and portable.

I have a hantek clone usb 'scope, it has dual trace and a bandwidth of about 60mc, it also has a built in function generator.
I did have a problem with it, but the manfacturer fixed it under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back