Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oscillator in the 100s of GHz range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufe0

Hi
I've seen the 'record breaking' cmos at 410GHz however I was wondering if there was a circuit or device for simple oscillation that could operate in the 100s of GHz range?

Thanks Rufe0

No. Not even wire works at those frequencies. THat alone makes things not so simple.

If 410GHz is "record breaking" what makes you think 100s of GHz is normal?

Last edited:
Using something outside of the electric type is cheating! light has far higher natural frequency so modulation or oscillation with it are not exactly electric bit electromagnetic in nature.

Heres an entertaining breakdown of the EM spectrum with a few side notes.:D

Attachments

• electromagnetic_spectrum.png
    electromagnetic_spectrum.png
    256.2 KB · Views: 275
Using something outside of the electric type is cheating! light has far higher natural frequency so modulation or oscillation with it are not exactly electric bit electromagnetic in nature.
Wouldn't characterize it as cheating. The lower frequencies can be carried in a wire and are popularly considered to be electric in nature. Above a certain frequency wire becomes a poor carrier of the signal and you have to go to other means (waveguide, air, optic fiber, etc.) But, as your chart show, it's all the same electromagnetic wave, differing only by frequency.

Interestingly, light was first realized to be electromagnetic in nature when Maxwell's equations predicted the existence and speed of an electromagnetic wave (some twenty years before they were actually generated and detected) which was very close to the measured speed of light at that time.

the worlds fastest IC ran at 560ghz or something. I will find it later.

the worlds fastest IC ran at 560ghz or something. I will find it later.

Just think of the useless junk add on stuff micro shaft could have running in the back ground with that speed!:eek:
You would need 50 Tb of ram just for startup alone! :p

Klystrons and TWTs and magnetrons, as I mentioned, above, especially at higher power levels.

If your trying to keep the neighbors dog out of the yard there are simpler and cheaper ways to do it!

The Microwave auditory effect sounds far more cool. I'm surprised it hasn't been used for mind control. North Korea could use it to be the pretend to be ghost of their eternal president, Kim Il-sung, speaking to the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back