Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscillating Volt Regulators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting reading, didn't know very much about them before. I have installed electros into that project now, so that should be ok (its another mic unit, I may post it up somewhere, its quite neat :lol:). I tend to use the highest voltage rating I can that will fit with capacitors.

Nigel Goodwin said:
With electrolytics the higher voltage the capacitor is, the lower it's ESR is - presumably for size reasons, just like the tantalums?.

Nigel, Ot of Curosity, I tried to Varify this with a bunch of caps I have in my part bins. I tested about 50 of them.
But no conclusive results. Some were lower, others were higher.

The same went for physical sizes differences, between different manufacturers of same value and voltage caps.

Take care......Gary

chemelec said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
With electrolytics the higher voltage the capacitor is, the lower it's ESR is - presumably for size reasons, just like the tantalums?.

Nigel, Ot of Curosity, I tried to Varify this with a bunch of caps I have in my part bins. I tested about 50 of them.
But no conclusive results. Some were lower, others were higher.

The same went for physical sizes differences, between different manufacturers of same value and voltage caps.

The only ones I've tested have been capacitors from the same manufacturer of the same value but different voltages - and the higher voltage ones have been lower ESR. If you check the datasheets the spec usually shows this as well.

true friend! but the problem was a friend who rode and did not know why, so I looked for answers on that, and I saw it on your forum ... but thank you!

The military and NASA satellites I worked on used solid tantalums exclusively for filtering and other high capacitance requirements, where failure is not an option.
Obviously they were high quality, mil-spec devices, used well withing there ratings (typically 50% derating) with strict limits on their inrush currents, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back